North Carolina Babies

Hospital Water Birth in the Triangle?

Hello!

My husband and I are moving to Durham this weekend and I am so worried about which doctor to choose. I was hoping to deliver at the birthing center in Chapel Hill, however they are just too popular and don't have any room. I would like the option to have a water birth, in addition to a few more preferences such as my husband being involved in the actual delivery and the cord not being cut asap. I know home birth is probably my best option, but this being our first child, I am not sure if I'm ready for that. Also, should something go wrong I would never hear the end of it from my mom. I am still going to look into that route, because, among other reasons, I do feel strongly that the environment a woman labors in affects the labor greatly, but even if we committed to a home birth, I would like to know what my "back-up" hospitals are like. 

So, Triangle moms, what are the hospitals like? Do any of them allow for water births, or are the jacuzzis just for laboring in? Is there a maternity ward that is hands-off and would let our midwife make all the calls (as long as the baby is safe)? Any suggestions on a midwife?

Thank you so much for any help, there's just so much out there I'm getting flustered. 

Re: Hospital Water Birth in the Triangle?

• I think your best bet is going to be with the Midwives at UNC Chapel Hill.  I've known several people that have delivered with them and they've been pretty happy with the experience. 

I don't know whether they allow water birth, but they'll be hands-off if that's what you want.  I know one friend who delivered there and she spent a lot of her time laboring in the shower, on a birth ball. 

If you decide to go with a home birth, I can give you the names of some midwives to contact. 

When are you due?

• My BF was planning on delivering at the birthing center in CH, but due to complications was transferred to UNC. She had an awesome experience there and was able to have a med-free birth. She spent the majority time laboring in the shower and had the mid-wife on hand for support.
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Loading the player...
  • I will definitely check them out. I'm due Feb. 2, so I guess I have some time, but not much. 

Thanks!! 

• I am actually a L+D nurse at UNC. Our midwives are awesome! We do not allow water births but a lot of women spend a lot of time laboring in the shower/tub. I delivered there and labored a while in the shower. it helped alot! The midwives are very hands off and are very open to birth plans and helping you have the birth experience that you desire. It sounds like they would be a good fit for you from what you described.

If you have any questions, just let me know!

My St. Patrick's day baby! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I teach Bradley Method classes in Elon and several of my students have used UNC Midwives and also the WB&WC.  If you are planning a natural birth, your best bet would be homebirth or the birth center.  I'm not sure why you mentioned they are too popular and don't have any room.  Are they not accepting any new patients because I hadn't heard that?  A natural birth at a hospital is definitely possible and some people have great experiences, however you always run into "standards of care" and pressure for interventions that might give you some confrontation.  I suggest doing a lot of research, educate yourself and have extremely good communication with the medical team you choose.
  • I teach Bradley Method classes in Elon and several of my students have used UNC Midwives and also the WB&WC.  If you are planning a natural birth, your best bet would be homebirth or the birth center.  I'm not sure why you mentioned they are too popular and don't have any room.  Are they not accepting any new patients because I hadn't heard that?  A natural birth at a hospital is definitely possible and some people have great experiences, however you always run into "standards of care" and pressure for interventions that might give you some confrontation.  I suggest doing a lot of research, educate yourself and have extremely good communication with the medical team you choose.

Hi there! Could you send me the name of wake county/Johnston county area midwives? We are ttc but I am adamant with regard to a water birth and having my husband involved in the labor and delivery aspect. Also, best place to receive Bradley instruction? Thanks so much!!!! =)

• I had my first natural (Bradley Birth) at Durham Regional (now Duke Regional) with the doctor's at Durham OB/GYN.  I had a great experience with the hopsital and doctor's.  I'm due in August and this time have been going to the midwives at Women's Health Alliance (CH OB/GYN) and will again deliver at Duke Regional.  I can't say enough amazing things about both the midwives I'm seeing and everyone at Duke Regional.  The midwives practice out of 3 offices in CH, Durham, and Brier Creek.  I checked out UNC as well but ultimately felt more comfortable with going with a hospital where I had a great natural birth experience.  I did tour UNC and I think they'd be great too.  I'd find your provider (that delivers at UNC or Duke Reg) and just go with that.  I don't think you can go wrong.  Also, I'm not sure why the WBWC is too popular.  I mean I know they are but (I'm also a Bradley instructor) and hadn't heard that they weren't accepting new patients.  Especially for February.  Good luck! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"