Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Cereal

At what age did you start your LO on cereal? Was it spoon-fed or just a thin amount and fed through a bottle? Our LO is eating so much and is still wanting more. We are planning to talk to his pedi next week.
image image

Re: Cereal

• Options
    we started at 3.5 months cause DS seemed REALLY interested in the food we were eating.  We spoon fed and he LOVED it.  I would think 1 month is a little young still... Theyir tummys arent ready to process solid foods yet at that age.  How much is your LO eating that you think it is a lot?
    BFP#1 - 10/09, DS born 6/17/10 BFP#2 - 09/12, EDD 6/6/13, MMC 10/31/12 @8w5d, D&C 11/30/12 Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    We started DS on cereal in his bottle at 3 months per his pedi. He has reflux so we needed to do it to weight it down in his tummy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My pedi says to start LO on cereal at 5 months and to use the spoon.  Really the reason for the cereal is to get him used to eating with a spoon.  Once he gets the hang of it we can move on to veggies.
    Missing our Little Pumpkin BFP 2-19-09, MC 3-1-09 Mommy and Daddy miss you and love you so very much! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

We had DS's 4 month appt. early and the pedi gave us the go ahead on the rice cereal and then told us to start fruits/veggies a week later.

He said to feed DS with a spoon (not a bottle) because if he wasn't eating it from a spoon, he wasn't ready to be eating it. 

We've tried several times to feed him but he doesn't know what to do with it. We'll try again in a month. 

IMO, I think your LO is too young for any type of solids...

Brady (7.15.10) and Nolan (5.11.13)
  • Options
    We will start this week. Just got back from the pedi's office and he suggested we start spoon feeding.
    "Everything is possible for him who believes.?
  • Options

imagencr279:
    we started at 3.5 months cause DS seemed REALLY interested in the food we were eating.  We spoon fed and he LOVED it.  I would think 1 month is a little young still... Theyir tummys arent ready to process solid foods yet at that age.  How much is your LO eating that you think it is a lot?

Around 36 oz a day. Is that a normal amount?

image image

• Options

Started cereal at 4 months just once a day in the evenings.  LO was always hungry and we needed something to fill him up a little better.  We feed it to him with a spoon and bowl. 

Haven't moved on to fruits or veggies yet.  Will do that in the next month or so, I am not really in a hurry. 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imagelaura_belle:

I strongly suggest asking your Pediatrician before doing anything.  One month is way too early.  The digestive system isn't ready for that.  Even AR babies only get a tiny amount of cereal to help thicken for reflux.

Also, is it 36 oz of breastmilk or forumla?  They are processed by the body differently.  Breastmilk digests quicker than formula. 

this.  Also, how much does he weigh? cause that makes a difference too

BFP#1 - 10/09, DS born 6/17/10 BFP#2 - 09/12, EDD 6/6/13, MMC 10/31/12 @8w5d, D&C 11/30/12 Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    We started cereal at 4 months when we got the go ahead from the pedi, we added some veggies and LO threw up a lot so I waited a week and tried cereal again and within 2 hours he threw up a lot again, so it doesn't seem like his tummy is ready yet.  I would think a 1 month old is way too young, but you should ask your pedi.
  • Options
    imageabartow:

Started cereal at 4 months just once a day in the evenings.  LO was always hungry and we needed something to fill him up a little better.  We feed it to him with a spoon and bowl. 

Haven't moved on to fruits or veggies yet.  Will do that in the next month or so, I am not really in a hurry. 

This. DD is now eating cereal 3x a day. We are starting vegetables this weekend.

• Options
    We started cereal in his bottle at that age but it was because he spit up so much. The doctor told us to go ahead and do it.?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    He will be 2 months next week. He is a little over 11 lbs and he is fed breast milk.
    image image

• Options
    imagelaura_belle:

imagesmbckr2:
    He will be 2 months next week. He is a little over 11 lbs and he is fed breast milk.

I would say no.  A breastfed baby will eat more oz than a formula fed baby.  11 pounds is a good healthy size for 2 months. I am guessing he has his 2 month appointment next week.  Definitely wait and talk to him, but I am going to guess he gives it a big NO.  Don't be surprised if he doesn't want you doing it before his 4 month appointment either.

If it helps- DS was 12 lbs at his 2 month appointment and eating 32 oz of formula.  We are just starting cereal this week (5 m, 2 wk) even though we were given the go ahead at 4 months.  He wasn't ready so we didn't rush it.

Great to know. Thank you! We are not in a hurry. Everyone just keeps telling us we should, but don't really feel it's necessary. We will definitely be waiting to talk to the doctor. Thanks!

image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"