Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

LO and watching TV

DS (4 mos) loves to watch TV.  A week or so, I decided check out whether or not it was okay for infants to watch TV. I found all of this info about how it wasn't recommended and can cause ADD and learning problems. 

I just thought he liked the flickers and sounds :/

Do you let LO watch a little TV? Do you think the whole "linked to learning problems thing" is a stretch? I don't want him to turn into a little TV zombie, but I honestly didn't think him watching a few minutes a day would hurt...

WDYT?

Re: LO and watching TV

• Options
    The research says "lots" of TV...most of the studies were looking at babies who watched 1-2 hours/day which is kind of crazy.  I let DS watch TV with us, mostly football, and my momma will let him sit in his Bumbo and watch part of "Word World" while she eats lunch.  I think 15 minutes or so won't hurt.  I always turn him away during commercials.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The TV is on as soon as my DH or I get home from work.  We live in an apartment so it's hard not to hear or see the tube.  The baby hangs out with us while the TV is on so she does see some of it.  I don't plop her down and leave her, it's usually us eating, watching jeopardy/WOF and talking to one another.  I don't know how bad this is for her but I can't imagine that it'll scar her for life.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    my husband LOVES to watch sesame street with our LO. he insists that she enjoys it but really-- i think he just likes to watch elmo's world. anyway, i'm not too worried about it. i think using tv as a way to keep your kid entertained all day may not be the best idea in the world, but a little while here and there isn't going to cause any major damage.
  • Options

ADD/ADHD is a chemical imbalance, TV can't cause that. TV could probably cause attention issues, but I would imagine it would take hours upon hours, every single day, for that to happen.

DD watched TV as an infant & is the most calm, focused 3 year old I've ever known.

As long as you aren't using it as a babysitter, it's fine, IMO.

• Options

I think all babies love TV.  We'd rather not risk the chance of future problems, however, college football is on the TV all day Saturday and DS inevitably catches glimpses of it here and there.

That being said, my mom used to put me in front of the TV every day to watch the Price Is Right, and I didn't end up with ADD or any learning problems. 

• Options
    DD likes to watch it, I try to not let her, but sometimes if she is on her playmat and starts fussing while I'm pumping, I will turn it on to distract her until I'm done.  I would rather her look at and play with her toys, but a little bit when I need to get something done doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    I think TV in general is probably a bit overstimulating for a baby and they don't understand it. I ever put her in front of it to watch it on purpose and if it is on, and she is fixated on it, I will turn it off, but of course she has seen the telivision.
  • Options
    I let her watch TV sometimes, she loves it! But only shows like 16and pregnant and teen mom, real quality shows. ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

you read my mind! this has been the hot debate in our house all week. I'm a SAHM, so it's really quiet and a little boring to not watch tv at all until DS is in bed, and any research I did on the internet freaked me out and was WAY over the top (IMHO) scaring me silly. Thanks for all the normal opinions!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD is watching TV as we speak... and is laughing her butt off.  I usually set her in her bouncy chair mid-afternoon so she can watch it for a few while I get a few things done around the house.  I don't want to say she has a "favorite" show or anything, but she seems to like the squeaky noise that Chica character on Sprout makes.  Whenever Chica comes on, I hear her start to babble and laugh.  Yo Gabba Gabba can keep her attention for a bit.  I think she likes the music and colors.
  • Options
    I usually put on Sprout in the morning when I'm trying to get ready for work.  I love Chica on the sunny side up show and we usually watch Barney.  My older boys (17 and 16 years old) always watched Barney when they were little and they are fine - no ADD/ADHD issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"