Attachment Parenting

? for Vat users..

I have heard that this is probably the thinnest/coolest woven for those of us who live in warmer climates.. Can anyone give me an example as to how thin it is? Kind of a challenge, I just would like to get an idea if it will work for us or not. My main concern is that it will be too hot or not breathe enough. We usually end up sweating even in our linen RS. Hope some of you mamas can help me out. I need to expand my stash now that DS is liking being worn more and more. TIA!
Breastfeeding, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing, Animal Loving Family! Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: ? for Vat users..

• My Vat Maruyama is the thinnest wrap I own.  It did great when it was 100+ with 80% humidity.  I ended up sweating more because of the weather than I did from wearing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Haha yeah it was worse than that here this summer. Yuck!

I think I am going to be stalking TBW and diaperswappers for a secondhand vat. And thank you for replying to my many scatterbrained posts. Lol

Breastfeeding, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing, Animal Loving Family! Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I love my vat and it's definitely my thinnest woven, but honestly even the vat leaves me extremely hot and sweaty in the summer heat where I live.  I prefer my bali baby breeze for the extreme heat.  There is nothing thinner than gauze (as far as I know), and while it may not be quite as soft or supportive, it is a bit cooler! 
  • I'd agree that gauze is the thinnest option - the BaliBabyBreeze is a nicer gauze than others I've seen and I still use it with kiddo (or did this summer anyway!).

But Vats are thin - the stripes are by far the thinnest, followed by the "birds" weave (Teesta, Koira, Valensole, Glaciar).  Kalahari is also very thin but Orkney and Solsbury are a bit thicker - I'd skip those if you want uber cool.  The Wrapper's Paradise Vat is between the birds and Orkney in thickness.

Wearing in anything is hot when it's really sticky out but I've wrapped through two southern summers with no problems.  I would also suggest learning a single layer carry - I mostly ruck in summer.

ETA:  I sweat in summer whether I'm wearing or not so I don't really worry when I sweat wearing kiddo.  He never has seemed overly hot - I'd argue that being worn is no hotter for the kid really than being in a stroller - they are trading off being near your body heat for being able to feel a breeze.  That said, I probably wouldn't wear for hours in 100 degree, high humidity days - but I wouldn't have kiddo out for long in that anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"