Breastfeeding
Options

Medical/Other Causes of low supply??

I've had supply issues since C was born (had issues with W too), and have had to suppliment anywhere from 2-9 oz/day. I've tried mothers milk tea, fenugreek, pumping like a madwoman, and now domperidone and more milk plus (for a month so far)...and am hardly seeing any beneit from anything. I still have to suppliment, I still don't get jack when pumping. So...what could be the cause of my crappy supply? I've heard thyroid issues can be, so I'm going to see about having some bloodwork done. Anything else I should look or, or does my body just hate me???

Re: Medical/Other Causes of low supply??

• Options
    PS...I feed on-demand, no longer than every 3 hours except usually a longer stretch at night and I let her nurse as long as she wants...
  • Options
    Besides thyroid, I have heard low supply can be from retained placenta and from malformed breasts (I forget the name).  AmyG would be the best person to answer this.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    if it was retained placenta you would have started to have extermly heavy bleeding and clots (both bright red) between 4-6 wks postpartum (placetna starts to calcify) and at your 6 wk appt the doc would have mentioned that your uterus is still sluggish.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

also try massage while you pump and pump after your dont get anything out: I have to massage went i pump everytime or i dont get much out.

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had tried everything as well and at Skylar's 6-month appointment our doctor looked at me and said "have you gained weight?" and I said "yes, all of it back." She ordered blood tests and sure enough they came back with hypothyroidism. So I'm now on medication to try and regulate my thyroid that crashed after giving birth to my son.

I'm glad your getting bloodwork done.

Hypoplastic breasts (under developed breasts that lack enough glandular tissue) is another medical cause along with retained placenta.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"