Working Moms

"Wine o'clock" article - discuss

https://www.parentdish.com/2010/10/27/moms-and-drinking/?icid=main%7Chp-desktop%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%7C181063

I often joke that I can't wait to go home and have a drink, but the truth is I don't drink, I don't like wine, absolutely hate beer, and while I like a cocktail when we go out on occasion, I sure as hell don't have time to be mixing them up at home.

[Poll]

Re: "Wine o'clock" article - discuss

• I have a glass or 2 of wine a few times a week.  A larger bottle lasts me about a week-10 days.  My job definitely drives me to drink LOL
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers M: 31 DH: 34 Dx: PCOS, Endo, Uterine Septum Ovarian Wedge Resection - May 2009 BFP #1 - October 2009 = DS BFP #2 - June 2011 = DD (Total Surprise!) Tree nut allergy in DS diagnosed 4/2012. Currently working with EI for SPD and possible ASD.
  • I don't drink every day, but I certainly drink.

Frankly, I'd rather come home and have a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and some toast or a cookie. 

I rarely even think to drink a glass of wine or cocktail on a weeknight.  DH has a drink most nights when he gets home.  Its just never been my thing.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I never drink on the weekday nights, I'm exhausted enough from having gotten up around 5 and worked till 5 on my feet most of the day, the last thing I need is something to make me more sleepy :P. Plus, I'm usually on-call 1-3 nights per wk so I can't have a drink then on the chance that I might be called in. Really the only drinking I do is an occasional single drink on the wknd, which is fine, b/c I'm quite the lightweight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I usually have a glass or two of wine in the evening. The same as before DD.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm way too tired by the time I put him to bed to even think about having some wine. It almost seems like too much effort to me, if that makes any sense. I'd rather just have a glass of milk and a couple Oreos.
  • To answer your question, I have 1-2 glasses of wine probably 3-4 nights a week (including weekends, which my DH often works.)

But it really kind of bothers me that this study, and article, focuses just on working moms.  I've done it all - Worked FT, PT, SAH, WAH - and I think I probably drank the most when I SAH. Maybe it was just my personality (i.e. not cut out for SAH) but I swear that sometimes my DH would walk in the door and I'd be rushing to pour myself a glass of wine. Now I work FT and come home from work excited to play with my kids, not drink wine. Like I said, sometimes I'll have a glass or two with dinner, or after they're in bed, but it's more of a treat than what feels like a necessity.  Obviously not all SAHMs are like this, but I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I guess the article/study can choose to focus on whatever specific group they want, but the way it read I just didn't like how it gave off the impression that substance abuse is just a working mom issue, versus just a mom issue in general.

• I have a glass some nights with dinner after the kids are in bed, but that's no different than pre-kids. If anything, I drink more hot chocolate lately.....DD have been having a cup together every night before bed. Spenjamins got me hooked on that a couple of weeks ago  Big Smile  it's our 'mommy and DD girl time' before bed time.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I maybe have 1-2 drinks a week.  Some Friday nights I do think to myself "this has been a rough week, I'm having a [insert some kind of adult beverage].  But, not every week, definitely not on a somewhat daily basis.  I have too much to do after dinner or after the kids are in bed and alcohol makes me sleepy.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I don't have time to become an alcoholic - since usually I pour the glass of wine and don't have a chance to drink it because I'm too busy cleaning up.  Or I plan to have one and then by the time I sit down, it's 10 pm and I need to get ready for bed. 
  • Before I was pregnant I used to drink about two glasses of Chardonnay on the weekends. I dont usually drink during the week. Maybe I will start. LOL!
  • I drink a lot less during the week now than I did pre-baby.  I am just too tired now to have any interest in staying up after she goes to bed for a glass of wine.  I do drink occasionally (mostly on weekends), but it's way less than before.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageaglenn:
    I drink a lot less during the week now than I did pre-baby.  I am just too tired now to have any interest in staying up after she goes to bed for a glass of wine.  I do drink occasionally (mostly on weekends), but it's way less than before.

This.

I have become a serious light weight.  I used to drink 1-2 martinis when we went out.  Now, one martini would put me under the table.  Even two glasses of wine has me feeling sluggish the next day.

I like the idea of it more than I like actually doing it.  Drinks

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• I can't vote because it's not that I don't drink (I do) and it's not that I'm having a drink every night I get home.  I'd say I average 1-2 drinks over a two week period, sometimes more or less depending if DH and I are going out for dinner (alone).  But I can't fathom drinking much because I'm a lightweight and it's not like I have a full-time night-nanny or anything. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Where is the I don't drink at home option?
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The article has no statistics on working mothers. It says more people are drinking and then throws in some crap about Xanax?  And from that WM, in particular, are hitting the bottle due to stressors?

I knew I disliked that magazine.

• I picked the one a day option because it was the least amount, but like other PPs, I have a couple glasses a week. Usually one on a weeknight and once on the weekend. I am breastfeeding and I don't want to risk having any in my system. I will wait until after their last feeding since they have a longer period between, but by then, I'm usually too tired to have the wine anyways and feel like I'm wasting time that I should be sleeping. I drank quite frequently before the babies, but it isn't even appealing anymore. I like my routine and spending time with my babies and don't need anything that interrupts that now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When I'm not pregnant or nursing constantly, I have a glass of wine with DH probably 2 or 3 nights per week.  Since I'm pregnant now, I'm obviously not drinking, and I hate to admit it, but with a few of DD's tantrums lately I have definitely missed having a glass of wine to take the edge off of toddlerhood.
  • I question their methods when they say that 5.3 million women out of 300 million people drink in a way that threatens their safety and then turn around and say that "one in four children has an addictive parent".  

This statistically doesn't make sense.  Even if 2X as many men as women have a drinking problem, it still doesn't make sense, unless there are a lot more alcoholic families like the Duggars. 

I am at home now, but I drink less than I did when I worked, if only because I have less time and much more of my socialization is in places where drinking doesn't make sense, like the pool, park, lessons, library. 

• Before DD, I would drink rather frequently (not every night but a few times a week).  Now I don't drink at all.  Oddly enough, I don't really miss it.
  • Oh goodie it must be open season on working moms! This "study" is alarmist horse $hit. If you co to the actual article in Working Mothers magazine, it tells you several stories about addict moms that are extremely upsetting but anecdotal, then asks you to make the leap that more and more working moms are addicts. For the "research" they ask you to click "here" for statistics that support their theory. The "statistics" they list are:

• The number of women ages 30?44 who abuse alcohol has doubled over the past decade.
    • Women are 55% more likely than men to be prescribed anti-anxiety medication.
    • 5.3 million women in the United States drink in a way that threatens their safety, health and well-being.
    • 1 in 4 kids has an alcoholic parent.
    • Prescription drug abuse has risen by 400% over the past decade.
    • 4.6 million women in the US are alcoholics.

I could spend all day picking apart each of these bullets. Not only is the wording nebulous, they don't even site their sources. The whole thing is garbage.

Phew, I need a drink!

• You totally need more choices.  I do drink but not one everyday.  There is a lot in between those two choices.
  • Obviously I'm not drinking now (KU with #2), but outside of pregnancy, I drink, but not every day.  Usually once or twice a week.  It varies from 1/2 a drink (watching a movie with DH before I fall asleep) to 5 drinks over the course of a 5-6 hour party.  The latter, probably occurs less than once per month.

Zoryana Kaitlyn born 4/16/08. 8 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches long Aidan Sean born 5/23/11. 9 lbs 12 oz and 22 inches long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagealisonada:

To answer your question, I have 1-2 glasses of wine probably 3-4 nights a week (including weekends, which my DH often works.)

But it really kind of bothers me that this study, and article, focuses just on working moms.  I've done it all - Worked FT, PT, SAH, WAH - and I think I probably drank the most when I SAH. Maybe it was just my personality (i.e. not cut out for SAH) but I swear that sometimes my DH would walk in the door and I'd be rushing to pour myself a glass of wine. Now I work FT and come home from work excited to play with my kids, not drink wine. Like I said, sometimes I'll have a glass or two with dinner, or after they're in bed, but it's more of a treat than what feels like a necessity.  Obviously not all SAHMs are like this, but I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I guess the article/study can choose to focus on whatever specific group they want, but the way it read I just didn't like how it gave off the impression that substance abuse is just a working mom issue, versus just a mom issue in general.

I think someone actually posted this in the comments on the article page - that there are a lot of closet drinkers in the SAH crowd too!  Very valid point.

• imageshannm:
    You totally need more choices.  I do drink but not one everyday.  There is a lot in between those two choices.

I only put the choices they offered in the original article online because I wanted it to compare to the general population that may have responded to that poll vs. what the working bumpie would pick.  I know they kinda pigeon holed it to having a drink everyday vs. none.at.all and I know that is not very realistic.  I see nothing wrong with having a few on the weekends and would guess that is really what most WM do, otherwise like all pp's have pretty much said -way too exhausted to even pour a drink :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"