3rd Trimester
Options

Pacifier thermometer? & More..

Does anyone know if these really work as well as a regular one?

Also, I am having a REALLY hard time finding plain and simple beanies or hats for baby. I don't want patterned stuff that has to go with a specific outfit. Just plain white & pink - Any ideas? 

Re: Pacifier thermometer? & More..

• Options

idk about the hats, but as for the thermometer, my pedi said only therm worth it on the market is the rectal.  I have an ear thermometer that I use to gauge if temp is off, but I don't rely in it for accuracy.  If DD's temp wasn't normal, I would use a rectal bc ear therm can be off by more than a degree.

I don't know the stats on paci thermometers, but my pedi said don't waste your money.  FWIW, using a rectal with a newborn is super easy.  DD cooperated with that until after she was 1.  I was nervous, but pedi showed me shortly after she was born (I brought it to one of her earlier appointments) and they have a safe tip so it won't go in too far.  They work super quick too. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't know about the thermometers, but my MIL bought us some fairly plain coloured hats at Carters.  Our Babies R Us also had some plain white hats a while ago.
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the Paci Thermometers, but it seems like a good idea - in theory. At my prepared birthing class, the nurse told us that they no longer take the temperature rectally, because it has been discovered that in doing this it actually causes little tears in the newborn's rectum. She said they take the baby's temp from under their armpit.
  • Options

Oh and I don't have a babies r us where I recently moved to unless I order online - I've looked online and cannot find any plain packs =/

Thanks for the info about the thermometers!

• Options
    We bought a paci thermometer, and it didn't ever work.  DD never kept it in her mouth when she wasn't feeling well long enough for it to read, and I don't think it's very accurate. (DH even tried it himself...)
  • Options
    We just got a thermometer that has three attachments - rectal, under arm, and oral.  I hope it works!  It looked like a good deal.  I can't imagine the paci one would work well because to get an accurate oral temp you have to put the thermometer under your tongue in a heat pocket.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Baby Gap sells plain colored hats.

• Options
    Get an ear thermometer. Those pacifier ones seem like a waste...
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have one, but it doesn't seem to work well. I prefer the one that you swipe across their forehead (which is what my pedi uses as well). I got it at costco.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options
    We have a temporal thermometer.... It's pretty acurate! I had an ear one...hated it. If DD has a high temp or if she's sick then I double check with a rectal temp.  They are great though because you don't have to wake them up to check their temp and it works in about 1.3 seconds!
  • Options
    I read reviews on amazon...seems the paci thermometer is not reliable.
  • Options

The paci thermometer is not reliable. If you're concerned that a baby is sick, the only accurate way to take their temperature is rectally. A sick baby will not hold the paci in their mouth long enough to get an accurate reading and if they've had anything to drink, it will affect the temperature reading adversely.

imageFitSoccerGrl:
    At my prepared birthing class, the nurse told us that they no longer take the temperature rectally, because it has been discovered that in doing this it actually causes little tears in the newborn's rectum. She said they take the baby's temp from under their armpit.

This isn't true.

I am a RN and spent 8 years in NICU/Nursery before going to the ER for the last 2 years. The concern with rectal temperatures is that parents are unsure how far to insert the thermometers. The current thermometers on the market have markings on them to indicate how far to insert, thus negating the concern.

Yes, in a well baby a temperature can be checked in the armpit - but if you're concerned that a baby is sick, it is unreliable. 

THink about it for a minute - if a TINY thermometer was causing tears in the rectum, what do you think poop would do on it's way out?

That nurse is an idiot.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"