2nd Trimester

preparing for anatomy scan

I know I should drink a lot of water. I have heard conflicting advice on sugar/ caffeine... will it make the baby move and "cooperate" or will he be too active and not let the tech get good measurements?? I don't want to be there for 2 hours, but I wanna be sure we can see "the goods!"

What did you eat/ drink before your anatomy scan, and how did it go?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: preparing for anatomy scan

• I drank a soda before I went in for my scan with DD, but just the way she was sitting made it impossible to see anything.

But, the u/s tech was extremely patient with us, knew we wanted to find out the sex of the baby, and had me up, walking around, and made me cough a bunch to move baby around.

So, I don't think it much matters what you drink, if the baby is going to be uncooperative, I think it will be no matter what. Hopefully you have a patient u/s tech and get what you go for! 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i didn't have to drink any water for my anatomy scan, and actually had to empty my bladder before.  I ate a normal breakfast...and the baby was moving well and actually was sitting on her head :)  I think I had an english muffin and an orange juice or apple juice before.
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Loading the player...
  • I had to empty my bladder before mine, too. The tech said that since she was going to be pressing on my stomach, I would be much more comfortable with an empty bladder. I had cinnamon rolls and a small cup of coffee before mine. The baby was moving -- she was on her tummy, and the tech got her measurements and whatever else she needed.

• I had to drink 25 oz of water 75 minutes prior.  Brutal.  But they only needed a full bladder to check for a few things and I was able to empty it about 2-3 minutes into the scan. 

That morning turned chaotic at the last minute and I barely got my usual breakfast down.  No coffee.  Baby wasn't moving too much, but his position was fine.  He started moving more when the tech started to prod and press on my stomach.  That was the case with DD, as well. Food and drink had less of an effect than the procedure itself. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Absolutely nothing.  Your baby is big enough to see no problem, and if it's moving around a lot that will probably just slow things down, IMO.  I peed in the cup as per usual at the beginning, so empty bladder for me too.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I didn't have to have a full bladder this time around and I didn't eat or drink anything to try to get the baby moving.  I didn't want him to be moving too much so they could get the measurements they needed.  He gave up the goods but I do have to go back because he was lounging on his back the entire time and wouldn't move so they couldn't get good shots of the spine.  
  • I ate my usual breakfast (eggs & toast) and was instructed to drink 32oz. of water 1 hour before my appt. I ended up drinking slightly less than that, but it was still enough for the tech to see whatever they needed to see. She got the measurements she needed in the first 15-20 minutes, let me have a bathroom break, and then did the gender reveal.

My baby was moving around a lot without any sugar or caffeine. The two ultrasounds I had prior to the anatomy scan were also around the same time of day & she was moving around quite a lot during those too. Luckily they got everything they needed, but she did curl up and "hide the goods" just as H was let in for the gender portion. With a little poking and prodding she uncurled herself though.

• imagestarlily313:

just as H was let in for the gender portion.

What?! Why isn't he allowed in for the rest?

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"