Baby Names

kind of early to worry, but...

here is my dilema...both of my girls have boys names that end with "n"...Tristan and Aiden. So therefore, I am OCD and feel as though if we have another girl, that I have to follow the pattern. DH loves and refuses to give up the name Gracie Elise. I absolutely love it, but I am worried about it sounding so different from my other girls. And then I still havn't even entertained the thought of naming a boy! I'm stressing over something silly!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: kind of early to worry, but...

• I wouldn't worry about trying to match naming styles of your children.  Choose the name you love!
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I would't worry about it. However, I'd definitely use Grace rather than Gracie. Gracie is a great nn for a child, but doesn't grow up well. Grace is timeless and will be more professional when she's an adult.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Loading the player...
  • IMO, it would be pretty bizarre to give your first 2 DDs such masculine names and then your third a super girly one. I would keep up with the pattern, even though I can't say I'm a huge fan.  Emerson is a name that comes to mind.  Or Peyton?

On a side note, Gracie Elise sounds pretty childish - I would at least make the FN Grace, but then it doesn't sound quite as good with Elise.

Due with DS2 on March 15, 2013! PLEASE vote on my BabyNames.com list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9692263
  • imageTheLuckiestOne:

IMO, it would be pretty bizarre to give your first 2 DDs such masculine names and then your third a super girly one. I would keep up with the pattern, even though I can't say I'm a huge fan.  Emerson is a name that comes to mind.  Or Peyton?

On a side note, Gracie Elise sounds pretty childish - I would at least make the FN Grace, but then it doesn't sound quite as good with Elise.

I agree with all of this.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Tristan, Aiden and Grace sound fine to me. Grace as your baby girl is really sweet. I am not one who thinks everyones name has to match. They are each their own individual anyway.
    5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • imageTheLuckiestOne:

IMO, it would be pretty bizarre to give your first 2 DDs such masculine names and then your third a super girly one. I would keep up with the pattern, even though I can't say I'm a huge fan.  Emerson is a name that comes to mind.  Or Peyton?

This exactly. If I heard Tristan, Aiden, and Grace - I would assume it was two older brothers and a younger sister.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKimmy1836:
    imageTheLuckiestOne:

This exactly. If I heard Tristan, Aiden, and Grace - I would assume it was two older brothers and a younger sister.

All of this. You made the mistake of giving your girls boys' names--now, if you choose to use a feminine name for your next daughter, she'll be perceived as a girl, but your others will be perceived as boys.

You'll also be setting yourself up for a lot of grief when one of your two older girls decides she doesn't like having a boys' name and wants to know why you didn't give her a girls' name, just like little Gracie. (Or vice versa, though, honestly, I consider it unlikely that Gracie would later decide she wishes she had a boys' name.)

ETA: Though it's definitely not my style, consider the name Grayson/Gracyn/Graycen for your third daughter, should you find out you're pregnant with a girl. You could still call her Gracie.

• I think you're right...Gracie is way to feminine to be paired with Aiden and Tristan. Which is unfortunate because I really do love Grace Elise (Gracie is way too cutesy). 

I think the previous suggestion of Grayson would work well. Even just Gray would work.  

• I think its so funny she should keep up a pattern of names that were either called a "mistake" or not well liked by those telling her to continue. If her nn is Gracie, does it really matter that her given name was more masculine? She could go by a nn for most of her childhood and it hardly makes a difference if her given name was more masculine sounding.

ETA: If the girls older girls cared, they could go by nn Trista or Adie or their middle name if they preferred anyway.

• I am curious to know if you have any boys names in mind :)
  • imageamatistajoy:

I think its so funny she should keep up a pattern of names that were either called a "mistake" or not well liked by those telling her to continue. If her nn is Gracie, does it really matter that her given name was more masculine? She could go by a nn for most of her childhood and it hardly makes a difference if her given name was more masculine sounding.

ETA: If the girls older girls cared, they could go by nn Trista or Adie or their middle name if they preferred anyway.

It is funny. Ridiculous, even. But at least in my case, I'm concerned less with my own dislike of boys' name on girls and more with how her two oldest daughters would feel later in life with a sister named Gracie. 

On the contrary given names do make a difference when compared to a nickname. You don't often (or never) write a nickname on a Christmas card, official records, marriage license, or resume. Most people, on this board at least, recommend a full, formal name over a cutesy nickname in every situation.

Personally, I think Gracie is adorable, but completely unsuitable for a given name. If Grace isn't an option because it's entirely too feminine, then Graycen/Grayson is a more appropriate choice. It fits the pattern of her other girls' names and still allows for the nickname she loves.

Whether the other girls get feminine nicknames or not (and I sincerely hope they do!) is neither here, nor there. The argument is whether or not she should continue the trend or break it. In this case, I'm very sorry to say, breaking the trend doesn't seem like a great decision.

• I also wonder what names you will consider if it is a boy.

I don't like boy names on girls, but I think that at this point you should be consistent so no one feels left out or special for having such a different style of name.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I would choose NOT to be consistent; just because you chose a different style for first two doesn't mean you should do it again.  The names in my family don't 'match' in style and even though I hated my name I never once thought to resent my sister for it.

* edited, because I was unnecessarily harsh 

• I'm one of those people, who would feel the need to continue the trend. Maybe it is OCD, I don't know, but it would feel strange for me to have the pattern be 'off'.

FWIW- I don't think you were cruel or mean to your other girls. If you loved the names, then so be it. I'm sure they aren't scared by their names. Seriously. 

• imagestrangebird:
    imageKimmy1836:
    imageTheLuckiestOne:

All of this. You made the mistake of giving your girls boys' names--now, if you choose to use a feminine name for your next daughter, she'll be perceived as a girl, but your others will be perceived as boys.

You'll also be setting yourself up for a lot of grief when one of your two older girls decides she doesn't like having a boys' name and wants to know why you didn't give her a girls' name, just like little Gracie. (Or vice versa, though, honestly, I consider it unlikely that Gracie would later decide she wishes she had a boys' name.)

ETA: Though it's definitely not my style, consider the name Grayson/Gracyn/Graycen for your third daughter, should you find out you're pregnant with a girl. You could still call her Gracie.

Ditto all of this.

I think Emerson is a good option. Gracen (I prefer this spelling to Gracyn or Graycen) is nms, but I suppose it would work because it is a) a variant of a masculine name and b) you can call her Gracie as a nn. Regardless of whether you stick with your trend or not, Gracie is too immature sounding for a full first name.

• You should continue the trend. If you have a girl, it's not fair to the other girls that she get a feminine name. If anyone ever sees your family's name written out (and they will at some point), they'll assume that the older two girls are boys because of the girliness of the last daughter's name.

I support PP suggestions of Grayson (which is too feminine to be a boys' name, anyway), or Gray.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• When I was in school there was a group of 4 sisters, Melissa, Raylene, Frankie and Toni, no one ever said anything about the 2 younger ones having more masculine names and the 2 younger sisters didn't say anything about them having boy names while their other 2 sisters had girl names. I say go for whatever name you like, not just pick a name you can live with so it fits with the other 2 names. And if you do pick Gracie as a name, use Grace with a nn of Gracie. A 30 yr old with the name Gracie doesn't sound too cute.

• I'd rename this post, painted in a corner.

Grayson nn Gracie is probably my favorite option of the ones mentioned. I have to shake my head though. What happens if you have a boy?

Flow-wise, Grace Elise doesn't work...it's the double S sound I think. Gracie Elise sounds like a cartoon character, one of those names you expect to stay a certain age forever.

I also don't think it's silly to stress about it - names are a big deal. You're giving someone something they have to carry for the rest of their lives. It's how the world will know them. Apart from the DNA you contibute (in the case of non-adoptive moms) and the upbringing you give them (in the case of all parents)...it can affect them, and the effects of naming will happen long after you give a name. I'm not saying good or bad (Marijuana Pepsi certainly had an interesting story)...just not silly I guess. Lol, in fact if you are stressing about names, you're in the right place. :)

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • imageTheLuckiestOne:

Completely agree. 

• Name her what you want. Gracie/Grace is lovely. I think it's fine to use it.
  • I like Gracen nn Gracie or Grace. I don't know that I love the spelling Gracen, but you could play with that. Grayson looks best but very masculine, but maybe thats what you're going for.
  • My name is a unisex name, and it never bothered me. I had boys in my classes with the same name. If I had a younger sister named Tiffany, I don't think it would have mattered. Unfortunately, thinking the older two sisters would be impacted by having a younger sister with a more feminine sounding name is just a projection of your own feelings. They may care, they may not. Actually, we never know how our children will respond to the names we give them until after it is done. I had a coworker who gave her daughter a classic feminine name, and as a teen she complained to her mother that she had an "old name" and wished she was named something more popular :)
  • imagebraveangel2:

I'd rename this post, painted in a corner.

(thumbs up)
  • Huh... never heard of Tristan and Aiden for girls. I would not use a feminine name for your 3rd if your previous "thing" has been boy names.
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • I hate matchy-matchy names, so go with Gracie. It's a lovely name! :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • imageamatistajoy:
    My name is a unisex name, and it never bothered me. I had 

The difference is that the OP didn't give her daughters unisex names, she gave them boy's names.

• imageKimmy1836:
    imageTheLuckiestOne:

Agreed.

I don't know that you need to use a boy's name for your third girl as well, but at least something more gender-neutral.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imagetew213:
    I like Gracen nn Gracie or Grace. I don't know that I love the spelling Gracen, but you could play with that. Grayson looks best but very masculine, but maybe thats what you're going for.

Yeah, I would go with the spelling Gracen if you choose this option. "-son" names on girls are just ridiculous IMO, worse than regular "boy names" on girls.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imagefirsttimemama:

imageamatistajoy:

The difference is that the OP didn't give her daughters unisex names, she gave them boy's names.

Tristan is a unisex name, most definitely. I know four Tristin/Tristans, and 3 of the 4 are girls, and three of the four are adults, so this isn't a new trend, either.

In response to the OP, I think I love the idea of "Grayson" nn "Gracie."

• As one of two siblings whose names rhyme with those of your kids, that's already going to be a pain for them when you call one and they can't tell which name you shouted. Why extend the confusion to all three?

Personally, I don't see any need for internal consistency besides liking all the names. They're not going to spend that much time being evaluated as a unit.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePythia1022:
    imagefirsttimemama:

imageamatistajoy:

Tristan is a unisex name, most definitely. I know four Tristin/Tristans, and 3 of the 4 are girls, and three of the four are adults, so this isn't a new trend, either.

In response to the OP, I think I love the idea of "Grayson" nn "Gracie."

Pytha, I know you can throw the s**t down, but I disagree here. Tristan is a historic name, and it's masculine. The feminine form is Trista. It might just be a case of boys names on girls gone crazy in your area, but it's not unisex.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Wow! Ladies! I did not think that this post would get this much attention. I totally get where each of you are coming from. And I thank you all for your opinions. I see some of you have suggested other names for Gracie. Which are all really cute, but I would want to keep it in its purest form, it was my grandmother's name. And as far as Tristan and Aiden not wanting boy names when they get older, if they choose to go with their middle names, that would be totally cool with me. Their middle names are feminine, Julia and Olivia. Julia was my grandmother's first name and Olivia was my DH's grandmother's first name. I also chose those names, going by the meaning- Tristan-conqueror, and Aiden-little fire. Thanks again for all the input!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"