Baby Showers

shower vs. announcements

Hi all -

So my family lives spread across the country and many of my close friends have recently moved. I would love to have a shower (that one of my friends wants to host) but only to get people together. Since it is so close to the holidays (I am due end of January), AND almost everyone would have to travel...I am thinking that it would be better to send birth announcements rather than a shower...I just feel like I would be missing out on an opportunity to see friends and family. That being said, no one is travelling much this year but I have also had questions from family as to when the shower will be.

My concern is I don't want people to feel obligated to come to a shower or send gifts if they can't make it, but I do want to share in the good news with the entire family (I am the first of both side to have a baby).

Any thoughts? I am leaning towards birth announcement  - thanks in advance!

Re: shower vs. announcements

• You can do both.   I have friends and family far away.  I invited the ones that would be able to drive.  Some came, some did not.

After he was born, we sent birth announcements to all family and friends.  Announcing the birth of your baby is different then having a baby shower. 

• imagekdodge423:

Announcements have nothing to do with gifts- I don't get where people got this idea in their heads. Sending out announcements is not a replacement for a baby shower.

This. However, I also feel showers are smaller, more personal events. Invite those you see and/or are in touch w/ on a regular basis.

A shower is not an event to bring together distant relatives that you never, ever see.  It IS a gift giving event, no matter how you spin it. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • I limited 99% of my invites to local people only and people within a couple of hours driving distance (who had told me they wanted to come).  The other 1% (My MIL, my GMIL and other immediate family members) I called and told them "I'm sending you an invite and I know it's a long distance to drive, I just want you to know that we're thinking of you and wish you could make it".  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • A shower gets people together (like you would like) but a birth announcement does not.  I'm not sure how that would get people together.  You could certainly forego the shower and send birth announcements so people know the important details of baby.  You could also host a "Meet the Baby Party" a couple of months after baby is born (or sooner if you are up to it).  That will get people together but will be a little time after the major holiday season.  Maybe do it at Easter...if people get extra time off then.

Receiving a birth announcement I don't think causes the recipient the think of sending a gift.  I do...but that is just me.  Even if I've already gone to a shower I will send a gift once I receive the announcement.  I know there are other people like that because we received a lot of gifts after we sent out announcement when our second one was born.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"