Parenting

Do you have any "rules" about how much candy after TOTing?

Just curious. I think my only thing is DS (4 y.o.) has to eat dinner before TOTing, then I'll let him have some fun picking out what he wants to eat tonight, within reason. 

Re: Do you have any "rules" about how much candy after TOTing?

• after we ToT we go through and take out the bad stuff and the stuff they can't have then we let them pick their 10 - 15 favorite pieces.  After that the rest of it goes to my work or DHs work.  We do not need that much candy in our house. We would have it consumed by Tuesday!
    Christmas 2009 image
  • Not really at this point.  He's pretty good about not eating too much of any one thing, so I'm not too concerned about him making himself sick.  And he eats healthily enough the other 364 days of the year, if he skips dinner in favor of candy for one day I'm not too worried about it. 

That might change as he gets older, but right now we just let him do what he wants on Halloween. 

• Loading the player...
  • We'll eat dinner before TOTing and then she can eat as much as she wants after we go through it tonight. After that, we limit it to 1-2 pieces per day until it is gone. I usually help eat it too and we end up throwing a lot of it away because she forgets about it.
    Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • My kids don't even like most of it - especially DS. They eat a bit and DH and I pick out the "good" stuff. The rest sits there for awhile until I throw it out or bring it to work.
  • imagenaybride04:
    We'll eat dinner before TOTing and then she can eat as much as she wants after we go through it tonight. After that, we limit it to 1-2 pieces per day until it is gone. I usually help eat it too and we end up throwing a lot of it away because she forgets about it.

This is what I hope to do. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The girls have to eat a decent dinner, somewhat.  I'm making them "nap" (at least have quiet time) because we had a late night last night too.  As to afterwards, they'll get to pick out a few treats (maybe 3??) tonight and then they get a few treats a day until it's gone or at least until they've had enough candy and we start cutting back on it.  They'll probably sort their candy in the morning, but we pretty much let them pick which treats to eat.  We just limit the number they can have in one sitting and usually they have to eat well for that meal/day before they can get any treats.  Nothing too strict.
  • It is a school night so they can only have a couple pieces tonight. 
  • Few pieces tonight..ditto the school night thing. 

One or two pieces a day after tonight.

And we end up freezing some of the chocolate things, and pulling them out when we go to the movies, or have special movie nights at home, sorta thing...last year, we still had candy in our freezer in the spring. 

• We will let them pick out a few pieces for tonight, then a couple each day until it is gone, I usually throw 4-5 pieces away a day so it is gone in a week or so. Last year we actually forgot about it and I found it when I was cleaning out the pantry this summer.
  • No rules at our place. DS#1 eats the candy he wants over the 1st 2 days (which ends up not being that much) and then he totally forgets it's even there. I take what's left to work to get rid of it.
  • imagesummerbrideDC:

Not really at this point.  He's pretty good about not eating too much of any one thing, so I'm not too concerned about him making himself sick.  And he eats healthily enough the other 364 days of the year, if he skips dinner in favor of candy for one day I'm not too worried about it. 

That might change as he gets older, but right now we just let him do what he wants on Halloween. 

Yup, this.

I am not that stressed about a couple days of candy overload ruining her life or anything.

~Lisa~
    Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • I let both of mine eat as much as they wanted tonight, pretty much no limits. It's only one night of the year, you know? They'll probably have a couple of pieces tomorrow and for the next several days until it is gone (with help from dh and I, LOL.) They each had a pretty small bucket and we they're only about half-full so it's not like they have some crazy amount- just enough for a few days and that's perfect, IMO.
  • our neighborhood is small so he didn't end up with some ungodly amount.  He picked out a few things when he got back and he'll have a few pieces a day until it's gone.

no real rules, because I don't see a need for them based on the fact that he doesn't have that much candy and he isn't begging to gorge himself on candy every day of the year.

• We don't go to a lot of houses and my kids aren't used t a lot of candy.  So just like at Easter, I let them eat what they want when it is a good time.  Like they had to stop tonight after 5-6 pieces because it was time to get ready for bed. 
  • imageLisa102304:
    imagesummerbrideDC:

Not really at this point.  He's pretty good about not eating too much of any one thing, so I'm not too concerned about him making himself sick.  And he eats healthily enough the other 364 days of the year, if he skips dinner in favor of candy for one day I'm not too worried about it. 

Yup, this.

I am not that stressed about a couple days of candy overload ruining her life or anything.

This.  They can eat it as often and as much as they want, given they eat dinner and other good food, until it's gone.  It's their candy. 

Me with my littlest.
  • We all eat a few pieces every day until it's gone.  I don't really restrict it.  I think it's weird that people throw it away?
  • I pick out all the hard candy for the troops and keep the chocolate (which you can't send to the troops; I guess because it will melt).  Last night, I said they each could pick out two but both were already so full on cupcakes and cookies (we were at a party at my sister's), they didn't really want anything.  I put one in each of their lunch boxes today, but will probably just put the rest away and pull it out for occasions like when their cousins come over for movie night.  It is just a lot of candy, and just because it's Halloween, that doesn't mean I'm going to give them a fat and sugar coma.  With Thanksgiving, Christmas and the Lunar New Year around the corner, they'll be eating way too many sweets anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"