Success after IF
Options

speaking of slutty costumes

I just feel like girls/women in general are getting more and more comfortable with dressing like this in public. And as the future mom of a girl, it really bothers me.

I was raised in a small, rural community and many of my high school classmates have children in high school and some even in college. Many of the moms have recently been posting photos of their daughters in homecoming attire on Facebook and, OH MY GOSH, I am seriously FLOROED by what some of these girls are wearing. Nine out of 10 of them have on dresses/outfits that are not at all different from what you'd see a streetwalker wearing.

I'm not talking about a random mom or two who just doesn't have the good sense to not let her daughter out of the house dressed like a hooker...I'm talking an epidemic. And many of these are moms whom I would otherwise consider good mothers with good judgement.

What is going on here? Is this just a fight they can't win?

Because no girl in my class would ever have been caught dead in an outfit like that at homecoming. I realize that was 20 years ago, but COME ON.

Re: speaking of slutty costumes

• Options

My little brother is 19 and I am constantly floored by the things girls wore to homecoming, prom, fraternity socials/ formals, etc.  Heck, I'm shocked by what most of these girls wear out on a Friday night.

I have no clue what the reasoning is but I'm hoping prude becomes cool in about 15 years and stays that way until Kate is 30.  There is no chance in hell she will ever leave my house in some of the things girls wear these days.

And, honestly, I judged the parents big time for allowing it.  Any article of clothing that ever went in my closet growing up had to get the OK from my mom so I find it hard to believe that these mothers can't filter what their children wear.

• Options
    I can totally be considered a prude when it comes to attire, and I'm okay with that. I was floored when a coworker showed me pictures from her daughters homecoming. The dresses were *super* short, and some of them had the navel area completely cut out. I know people say "never say never", but I can't imagine ever in a million years letting my daughter dress like that. As a mom to a son, I can't imagine him bringing home a girl like that. I would have a difficult time having any respect for her.
    TTC for 19 months. Dx: PCOS. 3 IUI's with Clomid= BFN 1st IUI with injectables= BFP imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    when my nieces post pics on FB I am scared.... thankfully one of them is smart and is never too slutty... but 2 on DH's side- lets just say they need more male influence in their life... b/c they slut it up way too often.
  • Options

Unfortunately it starts way before proms and such.  Even toddler outfits are over sexualized.  I've started shopping in the toddler boy's department  for t-shirts and pants that don't have things like Juicy written on the butt. 

As for when DD gets older -- I'm not sure how we'll handle it.  I know what it's like to be the odd man out in terms of dress and style in high school.  It's hard.  But I think there is a way to parent that allows girls to maintain their modesty and still be "cool."  At least I hope there is.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

As a mom of a girl, I am scared.  I've seen a lot of slutty prom outfits lately too.

Ugh!

• Options

when I was in high school I know I dressed up like a drill team girl - so short skirt.  as an adult, I haven't really worn something like that. 

I just went on facebook and looked at my cousin's daugher's album.  Hers is a slutty sailor outfit and she has a picture of all of her classmates at a halloween school dance...most of the girls are wearing slutty costumes.  I can't believe that many girls and all are dressed inappropriate in my opinion. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"