Baby Names

Need help with unusual/creative middle names

Ok, so Finn is on our short list. Unfortunately I don't like any of the longer versions so we would just go with Finn.

This is unfortunate because our LN is very short also (one syllable, starts with M) so if we go with Finn we NEED a long MN, and I'm having trouble coming up with any I like.

Other criteria: since Finn is so popular, I'd like a more unusual/creative middle name. No weird spellings, nothing trendy, but also nothing in the top 100. Or maybe 1000. We lean towards literary names and nature names, but it really could be anything so long as it sounds good in the middle: Finn _________ M(one syllable)

Re: Need help with unusual/creative middle names

• I really recommend the Name Finder at BabyNameWizard. It allows you to search by number of syllables, minimum and maximum length (in letters), and you can include or exclude letters or combinations of letters. I believe you can also search names by category (popular, unusual, esoteric, literary, modern, etc.). You can also check the name's SSA rank right from their site using the Name Voyager.

I only recommend it because it's really going to be hard for us to give you a decent list without knowing the content of your last name.

• If you're into literary, what about...

Atticus

Odysseus

Ulysses

Holden

Tremain

Gatsby

Ebenezer

Santiago

Othello

Hamlet

Or an author/poet you admire? Hemingway, Emerson, and Shakespeare all have colorful, interesting names that would be cool as MNs.

Or what about film characters? Maximus or Corleone could be cool choices, among others.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I like pp of Finn Othello M_

Amadeus

Webster

Draco

Holling

Baptist

Toma (TOE-ma)

Orian

Jupiter

Jeremiah

M/C 04-1999 Missed M/C 04-20-2005 M/C 11-09-2006 DD - Sable Ren
  • I like PP's suggestion of Hemingway.

Finn Hemingway M... sounds good to me. I think it's the soft fn/nm that I enjoy the sound of.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagealliejo725:

If you're into literary, what about...

Atticus

Odysseus

Ulysses

Holden

Tremain

Gatsby

Ebenezer

Santiago

Othello

Hamlet

Or an author/poet you admire? Hemingway, Emerson, and Shakespeare all have colorful, interesting names that would be cool as MNs.

Or what about film characters? Maximus or Corleone could be cool choices, among others.

Gatsby is our dog! Many good suggestions though, thank you.

• I like Finn Hemingway too...but I wonder if it's too obviously literary since both the FN and MN could be considered such.

Thank you all for the good ideas!

• My H just pulled this name out of left field yesterday, but I think it would be a pretty cool mn (and I told him we could keep it on our mn list).

AMBROSE

Usage: English

Pronounced: AM-broz  [key]

From the Late Latin name Ambrosius, which was derived from the Greek name ?????s??? (Ambrosios) meaning "immortal". Saint Ambrose was a 4th-century theologian and bishop of Milan, who is considered a Doctor of the Church. Due to the saint, the name came into general use in Christian Europe, though it was never particularly common in England.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • do you have any family names (first or last) that you could use as a middle name?  My DS's middle name is Conway which is my mother's maiden name. 

• imageLyndseylovesHugh:

My H just pulled this name out of left field yesterday, but I think it would be a pretty cool mn (and I told him we could keep it on our mn list).

AMBROSE

Usage: English

Pronounced: AM-broz  [key]

From the Late Latin name Ambrosius, which was derived from the Greek name ?????s??? (Ambrosios) meaning "immortal". Saint Ambrose was a 4th-century theologian and bishop of Milan, who is considered a Doctor of the Church. Due to the saint, the name came into general use in Christian Europe, though it was never particularly common in England.

LOVE this, actually...it's going on the list for sure, thank you!

• We were thinking about possibly using Morrison after my brother (it's his MN, and a family LN)...otherwise all our family LNs are also super short.

My Dad makes fun of me because I always hated having such a short (8 letters total without middle) name and I married into an even shorter (7 letters) one.

• Interesting male names from some people in my life:

Beckett - age 4
    Sylvain - age 7
    Arvi - age 78 
    Uriah - age 12 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Finn Alastair came to mind immediately 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards