Parenting

Night time potty training

DD turned 3 in May and has been potty trained since July or so - during the day.  We always put her in a pull up at night (Our fault, I know).  Some AM's she wakes up dry, others wet. Any suggestions on how to get her trained at night?

Re: Night time potty training

• I really think it's just one of those things...I don't know that you can train them to go in the night. Maybe I'm wrong. DD got it before even day time potty training, but E's been "trained" on and off for almost 2 years. We now take him once per night, and he doesn't wet the bed, but I don't know that it's anything we did or didn't do. I think it's just what happens, you know?
  • James was PT'd at 26 months. After a couple of months we ditched the diaper at naps and just last week when he turned 3 we ditched the night time diaper. He had been waking up dry for a long time but still always asked to wear a diaper at night. I was sick of wasting diapers so I told him once he was 3 no more night diapers and that was it. I would say if she is still waking up wet sometimes to just wait awhile. I think depending on how much they drink at night and how heavily they sleep, staying dry at night can take a long time.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm with GHM.  DD2 was daytime and nighttime PT'd at the same time.  She was something like 22 months old.  DD1 is now 5.5 years old, and almost always wakes up wet.  Not just a little bit wet...like SOAKING wet.  We don't make an issue of it..it just is what it is and I'm sure when it's time, her body will wake her up when she has to go.  I hate the thought of interrupting her sleep to wake her up and go in the middle of the night.  She is also diabetic so I give her unlimited access to water day and night so that might be part of our issue also, but whatever...
  • Just to add to my earlier post, after reading what jorie wrote--I don't wake E to train him or anything, it's just that he gets an awful rash these days from a diaper, even if it's not peed in, and he pees too much for any diaper to contain. He also could sleep through anything, so he doesn't wake up when we take him. He does sometimes wake himself to pee, but it's rare these days.
  • GHM, I didn't even read that part of your post so I wasn't picking on you.  I've read on here about waking kids up at night to make them go pee, and I don't agree with that method.  You can't "train" a physiologic function IMO and it seems cruel to wake a sleeping child. I've been in DDs room checking her blood sugar at night and heard a huge gush...she was peeing as I was poking her finger (which hurts!) and neither thing woke her up!  She'll be dry when she's ready.
  • We had DD in pull ups at night for about a month after she was day trained. We told her one day that when that pack was done, she would wear regular underwear at night and she'd have to wake up to go potty. Even though she wasn't always waking up dry, she's never wet the bed, nor has she ever woken up to pee. I have no idea why, I think she just had it in her head she couldn't pee in bed and never has. We don't really even limit her liquid intake.

So I guess I'm with GHM, I think its just one of those things that they get or they don't and it just happens. 

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Jorie, I didn't think you were picking on me! I was just letting the OP know why we took him in the night, so she didn't think it was some magical answer to potty training. We still have to take him, so it's not like it's training him to not pee at night, you know?
  • It just kind of happened for DD. She started waking up on her own at night to pee- which is good, but that so brief period of time when she actually slept through the night was great.

Nadia Irene 8/13/07 Reid Owen 8/18/09
  • E will be 5 in December and has been daytime trained for more than 2 years.  He still wakes up soaking wet.  He said once that he wanted to try wearing underwear to bed.  I went to check on him at midnight, and he was soaked and still sound asleep.  We had to wake him up to change his clothes and the sheets, and he freaked out.  So, I guess we'll just keep waiting.
  • Thanks everyone.  Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a child who is PT'ed just during the day.  I think it will happen soon b/c she's been upset when she wakes up with a wet pull up.  Tonight she told me she will get up and go potty by herself if she has to go.  (I'm sure she'll still wake me to help her, which she's done a few times!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"