Do I really need an infant seat? — The Bump
Nurseries and Baby Gear

Do I really need an infant seat?

Any of you second time Mommies have an opinion of infant seats? I have had people try and convince me I don't need one? Is this true or should I get one anyway? Thanks in advance!

Re: Do I really need an infant seat?

• By infant seat I assume you mean an infant car seat. I would yes, they're so much more convenient that using a convertible car seat. The infant seat can attach to a base in the car making it easy to take the baby in an out of the car without disturbing the LO too much. The base is installed in the car using a seat belt or the latch system. The infant seat then locks into the base. It's a good place to keep the baby when you're not at home (shopping, at restaurants, etc). Also some car seat say they're convertible seats (use from infant to toddler) but they don't always have enough of a recline for an infant. I know consumer reports has some recommended convertible seats that are acceptable to use with infants.
    Anniversary
    *photo removed*
  • imageBran_ham:
    By infant seat I assume you mean an infant car seat. I would yes, they're so much more convenient that using a convertible car seat. The infant seat can attach to a base in the car making it easy to take the baby in an out of the car without disturbing the LO too much. The base is installed in the car using a seat belt or the latch system. The infant seat then locks into the base. It's a good place to keep the baby when you're not at home (shopping, at restaurants, etc). Also some car seat say they're convertible seats (use from infant to toddler) but they don't always have enough of a recline for an infant. I know consumer reports has some recommended convertible seats that are acceptable to use with infants.

this. i couldn't imagine having newborn in our converatable, and it says it's for 5+ lbs. k never ever slept in her carseat, but it was still amazing.

i say get one. it was more than useful for us, and everyone else i know that has kids.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • In my opinion- yes you do!  The convenience outweighs any cons (the only I can think of is having to purchase a convertible after LO outgrows it).  You can leave it in the car IF you want to, but they are perfect for not waking a sleeping baby, eating out, they are really made for a newborn (many convertibles are not really made to fit a newborn well.)  The portability makes them a must have to me!
  • There are some babies that just hate the infant seat and prefer the convertable.  But not many.  The other posters are right, the convenience factor of the infant seat is HUGE.  There will be times when you will do anything to keep that baby asleep and if you have to wake them up to get them out of the car- that is really going to suck.  Also, do you plan to eat out at all in the first 6 mos?  If so, the infant seat is a must.  There is no where to put the baby in a restaurant if you don't wear them (kind of hard to do while eating) or have them in an infant seat.  So yeah, I think your friends are wrong here...

• It is really a lifestyle choice IMO>

We skipped it and don't regret it at all, but we did go into it being fully open to buying one if we decided we needed it.

We researched the convertibles that truly fit newborns well. The recline is generally fine, where you come into trouble is with the shoulder straps actually going down far enough. Several convertibles will truly fit a newborn, but many don't.

In our case, we didn't want to get into thr habit of carrying the baby in the bucket all the time. It's really not much trouble to take her out of the convertible seat. We either wear her, carry her, or put her in the stroller. She's used to being handled so we can get her in and out of the car without causing a meltdown. I can take her out without really waking her.

When we go out to eat we take our FP Space Saver high chair, It works with a newborn, and takes all of 5 minutes to strap to a chair.  I couldn't imagine taking her grocery shopping in the infant seat, either. I think it looks way too unstable to put her on top of the cart, and I'd rather be able to actually shop so I don't want her in the cart. Hence, I wear her.

Besides, DD is now almost 18 pounds. There is no way I'd be carrying her in that seat. Way too heavy. It loses the convenience factor right there for me.  Everyone kept telling us that we'd regret not getting it, but we don't miss it at all.

But like I said, it's a lifestyle choice. If you choose to skip it, just be prepared to go buy one if it proves to be a pain for you. If DD were the type who freaked whenever taken out of the car seat, we might have bought one, but she sleeps anywhere and everywhere. Earlier today, even, I took her out of the car seat to bring her in the house and she woke up briefly then passed out on my shoulder again. 

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards