Toddlers: 24 Months+

Moms of thumb suckers come in....

DS never sucked his thumb...he was totally a paci guy.  DD is the opposite...she's all about her thumb and she gets mad when I try to switch the paci in.  I'm a little worried about the weaning process with a thumb sucker.  How does that work?  I know I sucked my thumb at bedtime for a LOOONG time (secretly).
Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Moms of thumb suckers come in....

• Same here !  My DS NEVER took a paci, and DD hasn't either, but recently started sucking her thumb (all throughout the day).  Interested to see the responses. 

I think it is so cute... I was a "secret" thumb sucker too! 

• You can't really wean them from it.  Most kids give thumbs up between 3 and 6 years old.  DS is an avid thumb sucker, but we're not going to worry about it for now since he's still only 2.5.  As kids learn to comfort themselves in other ways, thumb sucking is supposed to become less of an issue.

https://children.webmd.com/tc/thumb-sucking-topic-overview

• Loading the player...
  • imageAgrippaRidesAgain:

You can't really wean them from it.  Most kids give thumbs up between 3 and 6 years old.  DS is an avid thumb sucker, but we're not going to worry about it for now since he's still only 2.5.  As kids learn to comfort themselves in other ways, thumb sucking is supposed to become less of an issue.

Ditto. We're not going to worry about it. She'll eventually give it up...she won't go to college a thumb sucker ;)

DH was a late thumb sucker...all it took was one time of accidentally putting his thumb in his mouth at school and getting made fun of (1st or 2nd grade, maybe), and that was it. He was done, even at nighttime.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTexasSmith:
    imageAgrippaRidesAgain:

You can't really wean them from it.  Most kids give thumbs up between 3 and 6 years old.  DS is an avid thumb sucker, but we're not going to worry about it for now since he's still only 2.5.  As kids learn to comfort themselves in other ways, thumb sucking is supposed to become less of an issue.

Ditto. We're not going to worry about it. She'll eventually give it up...she won't go to college a thumb sucker ;)

DH was a late thumb sucker...all it took was one time of accidentally putting his thumb in his mouth at school and getting made fun of (1st or 2nd grade, maybe), and that was it. He was done, even at nighttime.

ummm....DH's cousin is 25 and STILL sucks her thumb!! My SIL was horrified when, at her bachelorette party, her cousin was sleeping, sucking her thumb, and all SIL's friends saw! Tongue Tied

In all seriousness though, I'm sure that's an extreme case! Though I do worry a little because DD2 is a major thumb-sucker, I'm fairly confident that she'll outgrow it when she's ready to. The way I see it, everything I stressed about w/ DD1, she always managed to outgrow or achieve it on her own when she was ready to (like giving up the bottle, switching to table foods, potty training, etc..) so why would this be any different :)

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • imageTexasSmith:
    imageAgrippaRidesAgain:

I actually knew a girl in college who still sucked her thumb...she would sit watching TV sucking her thumb all the time!

• imageTexasSmith:
    she won't go to college a thumb sucker ;)

My brother still sucks his thumb and he's 37.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD#1 is a finger sucker....her middle and pointer finger, ever since she was born. Heck even in her ultrasound. She gave up her paci by 7 months old, all on her own, but only because she liked her fingers better. She is 3.5 years old, and I am not too worried about it yet but it drives DH crazy. I hope she gives it up on her own soon without too much of a fight.

My DD #2 has never really been a thumb sucker, but she is 2 years old and still uses her paci (at night only). So we are plotting how to go about taking that away some time in the near future...eeek. I'm a little scared ;-)

• Kate sucks her thumb and I won't try to get her to stop for a while. I know that I couldn't fall asleep without sucking my thumb when I was little. I shared a room with my sister, so I always slept with the blanket over my face so no one would know since I was supposed to stop.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"