Keeping LO away from the fireplace? — The Bump
Nurseries and Baby Gear

Keeping LO away from the fireplace?

Any babyproofing ideas of how to keep DD away from the fireplace? We have a wood burning stove insert and it gets really hot.

So far, I've considered putting the octagon shaped play-yard we have in front of it, but I was planning to use that to put around the Christmas tree.

The other thought is to put the foam bumpers around the brick edges and then use a fireplace screen. I'm not sure if she would be able to pull a screen down though???

Thoughts/ideas?
Thanks!

Re: Keeping LO away from the fireplace?

• Our LO was never really into the fireplace itself.  That being said, we also don't really light ours all that often.

Our major concern was the sharp edges of the stone hearth.  We purchased a pad that is made to fit your particular fireplace hearth and couldn't be happier with it.  The website is www.jackmatllc.com

• imagedlm07:

Our LO was never really into the fireplace itself.  That being said, we also don't really light ours all that often.

Our major concern was the sharp edges of the stone hearth.  We purchased a pad that is made to fit your particular fireplace hearth and couldn't be happier with it.  The website is www.jackmatllc.com

Awesome idea! Thanks!

We've definitely got to do something. Our fireplace is really close to the ground and I've had to redirect DD off/away from it about 40+ times a day. I've got to find something to make it safe.

• Loading the player...
  • We have a coal stove and got a decorative wrought-iron screen to go around it (it's a 3-piece design that's jointed between the individual screens so you can bend them to completely surround your fireplace) and let me tell you, that thing is heavy! I can hardly move it myself, and because of the 3-sided design it's not prone to tipping either (though I imagine it might be if we didn't have the 2 outside pieces bent so far back to surround the sides). If you go that route, just take your time and shop for something super heavy like ours and you shouldn't have problem with LO pulling it over. Even something lighter could work if it's big enough to go around and touch the wall on either side, then you could attach it right to the wall somehow. Just another option for you. I've seen the foam bumpers and they aren't very appealing to look at, this looks nice and is safe.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards