Cincinnati Babies

Scary night

Wow.  Even working as a medical professional I never thought I would worry the way that I do.  Sometimes though I think my job makes me crazier than I would have been if I didn't work in this field.  

Carter started running a slight fever on Wednesday night and Thursday during the day.  I had given him Motrin and Tylenol to help keep it down and help him feel better.  When I left for work yesterday at 2pm his temp was 100.  My mom watched him and took his temp at 5:30 and it was 101 so she gave him some more tylenol.  I called DH at 8:30 and asked how he was doing and if he took his temp.  He went ahead and took it while I was on the phone and I heard him go that can't be right.  It was 104.5 so I told him to go ahead and bring him in to Children's.  By the time they got there a little over a half hour later his temp had spiked all the way to 105.3 and his heart rate was 180.  

They gave him another dose of Motrin and managed to bring his fever down.  They did a CBC and his white blood cell count came back a little abnormal as well as his platelets so they just think he has a viral infection.  The ER attending told me she has seen about 10 kids in the past 2 days with the same thing.  She said they come in with a really high fever and no other symptoms.  They suspect a virus will rear it's ugly head with some additional symptoms in the coming days.  

There is really no point to my post other than the fact that I'm still a little uneasy after last night.  It's just so scary when kids get that sick that quickly.  I worry that if I had not called home when I did something terrible would have happened because we may not have caught his high fever in time.  I felt like a crazy person calling the pedi and having him do a referral and walking over to triage to give them a heads up that DH was bringing him in.  They probably looked at me like I was nuts, but oh well maybe I am! 

He's doing much better today and we saw the pedi this morning.  He said that his throat is irritated and red, but his fever has come down significantly.   

Re: Scary night

• I think you did the right thing.  Until you really know your kid, any fever over 104 is scary.

FWIW, my brother ran really high temps when he was sick.  (like 104).  Once my parents knew this, they called the pedi when it wouldn't come down.  But still, every time he spiked a fever, my mom was on edge. 

I don't blame you in the least for bringing him in, and I hope he's on the mend now!!!!

• Geesh!  We had the same thing with Brenna this time last year.  It was crazy scary for us, and she sustained a 104+ temp for 4 days, despite our rotating Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours around the clock.  She looked sick, could not play, and scared the crap out of us.  Three trips between the pedi and urgent care and everyone said it was a virus.  Give as much fluid as he will take, rotate the meds, and try to offer food and popsicles and jello.  Bren was sick with a virus this week too.  Her temp was in the 103 range, and she just did not feel well.  It's that wonderful time of the year again.  I hope it rides out soon for you.  No fun.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm glad he's doing better! But that is so scary : (
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think you are nuts at all!  I would have done the same thing!  Hope he feels better soon!
    Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Very scary, hope he feels better soon!
  • Very scary! We went through something similar with Logan a couple of weeks ago (although his fever didn't get quite that high--he topped out at 103.9).  It came on very quickly.  When he got up that morning he was fine, by noon he was a mess.  I was a wreck and I consider myself a more laid back mama.  My kiddo never, ever gets sick so this threw me for a loop.  I was also told it was viral.  His fever lasted for less than 24 hours then gave way to a nasty cough and runny nose which lasted for 2 weeks.  Whatever this virus is it's a supervirus because I also got it and have been sick going on 2 weeks and I never get sick.  H got it after I did and is also still feeling the effects.

Anyway, I got way off track.  I'm glad Carter's fever has gone down and FWIW, I would have done the same thing you did.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Sounds like you did everything right. That is so scary, though-- make sure everyone gets some rest today. That is really stressful on everyone, not just him! Poor little guy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are battling the exact same thing.  DD yesterday started running a fever that was hanging out at 102 all day.  Then last night (as soon as doc's office closed) it spiked up to 104.  We've been alternating the Motrin every 6 hours and the Tylenol 2 to 3 hours after the Motrin.  This has maintained it at 103.8 and sometimes down to 102.8.  DD has a history of getting random fevers up to 105 or higher ever few months.  In August we had her to the doc and they did a full blood work up, then the next day we rushed her to the ER with a 106 fever.  Which apparently is nothing to worry about according to the doctor at the ER who acted like we overreacted.  DH used to get high fevers like this with teething so this is all we can attribute it to.  The problem now is trying to get DD to take the Motrin and Tylenol.  To get her to take the last dose we tried mixing it in oatmeal(which worked earlier today), mixing it with ice cream, in a juicebox, in her juice cup, in a normal cup, and even dipping a sucker into it.  I finally had to hold her down and slowly drip it into the back of her mouth so she wouldn't spit it back out again.  Here's to hoping it's a 24 to 48 hour thing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"