Multiples

Question re: the NICU

This is just something I've been wondering about. If your babies were in the NICU for more than a few days, how much time did you spend there? I guess I'm wondering how that works if you are discharged, but your babies are still there. Were you there all the time? Did you have a really hard time leaving them there? What did you do when you went to see them?

The last time I had major surgery was when I was a baby myself. I've never really spent much time in a hospital for anything other than regular appointments and labwork over the years, and once last year when DH was admitted overnight when he was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes.

Just curious how your NICU experience went.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Question re: the NICU

• My girls were born on Sept 30. We also had a  year old at home and I couldn't drive first 2 weeks b/c of section. For the first 2 weeks someone came and got me most days and I went  to NICU then at night DH and I went every night! One daughter was discharged after 2 1/2 weeks adn that's when it got a little more difficult. When DH would get home at 5 every night I went to NICU and then he went back at 8. At first we just went to hold them, then once they were on bottles we tried to go for a feeding a day. Don't overdo yourself if you have to spend time there. I did about an hour or a little more a day. It is draining doing it everyday but I promised my girls I would never miss a day. We are all happy and home now. I hope you have a great experience in the NICU if you have to have babies there!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine were born on a Tuesday, I was discharged that Saturday, and the first came home a week later. I couldn't drive, and DH was working, and it was hard to find a ride to the hospital, so I didn't spend as much time there as I'd hoped. Plus, I was still in so much pain from my c/s, I couldn't sit for long. I had to get wheelchair rides up to the NICU.

I think for that week, I spent an average of 2-3 hours a day at the NICU.

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Loading the player...
  • Landry and Hudson were born at 34.6 wks and in the NICU for two weeks.  I also have a 2.5 yr old.  I would go for the noon feeding prior to Emerson getting home from school and again for the 9 pm feeding after she went to bed.  The nurses were wonderful and I felt very good about leaving them so, that worked for us.

On a side note, several times the nurses called me and I wasn't able to go for one of the feedings because there was a new admit to the unit.  When there was a new baby, they closed the NICU for that feeding so, they could do what they needed to do with the new LO's.

I was upset the first time but, soon realized that my babies arrived and there were parents who weren't able to see their baby...I was glad that they were given that undivided attention. 

You do what you can when you have LO's in the NICU.  They sleep so much so, you go when you can feed and interact with them.  That's what I did since I had another baby at home who needed to be taken care of and I was trying the heal from the surgery as well.

You do what you can do.  Everything turns out okay in the end... 

ETA-I did drive within that two week time frame when I wasn't supposed to.  I live within a fifteen minute walk from the hospital and it was my second section so, I felt okay about it.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My guys were born at 31 weeks, they were in the NICU for 31 & 42 days. They spent time in 2 different NICU's. They were born further from home because I delivered at a hospital with a level 3 NICU. They stayed there for the first week, I had a c-section so I was able to spend 5 days in there with them, once I was discharged I wasn't allowed to drive so I had to wait for DH or a family member to drive me in, That was very hard for me to deal with. As soon as they were able, we moved them to a level 2 NICU closer to home, then I spent 2-3 hours in the AM in there by myself, Then DH would come home from work and we'd go back together for 2-3 hours in the PM.
    I had a great NICU experience, I loved all our nurses, they are so special. We've gone back every year for their annual NICU reunion.

• I was there as much as possible. It was really hard to leave them and go home. It was even more hard when one was home and the other was still there. I would go in the morning for a few hours, come home, and go back in the evening for a few hours.
  • I really can't remember how many days O was in the NICU.  I know he came home at 1w, but I can't remember exactly which day he went in because it's all a blur.  Anyway, we didn't go home until he did.  We slept in the family wait room.  I was with him most of the day and night, except when sleeping or eating.

It was really not healthy b/c I didn't heal well sitting on a little stool (not a comfy NICU setup.)  

This time I chose the doctor based partially on the NICU setup and am hoping if we do need NICU time it will go a little smoother (they have individual NICU "rooms" for each baby or set of twins, so you can have a little privacy.  There's a glider and a couch.

But if there they're for longer than a night, I'll not kill myself staying there again, if I can help it. 

• I am actually being discharged tomorrow and my boys will be here for awhile seeing as they were born at 30 weeks. I know this is going to be a hard journey for DH and I, especially since we live an hour away from the hospital. The good part is that DH's sister lives only about 15 minutes away from the hospital and she was kind enough to offer to let us stay with her while the boys are in the NICU. I know that going everyday would wear us both out really fast so we would like to be up here every other day. I'm not sure how that will work, but we will see. We also have to keep in mind though that we have 2 dogs and 3 cats at our home as well that we still need to take care of. I know that tomorrow is going to be a difficult day for me leaving them, but i've been trying to prepare myself all week for it and i know that it truely is for the best that they are staying here because they are just sooo darn tiny. So far we LOVE our NICU nurses and doctors. They are all so great and kind. I'm just trying to prepare myself before it happens. I know I'll still probably bawl my eyes out like a little school girl, but hey, i'm trying Wink
  • My girls were born at 30 weeks and I had a two year old at home.

They had private rooms in the Nicu and were there for 7 and 8 weeks.

I spent about four-six hours/day there.  My husband took the first two weeks off so he could drive us to the hospital.  After I could drive, I would drive in and be there for two of their feedings (every three hours) and then go home to see my son.  Occassionally one of us would go back in the evening for their evening feed before the shift change.

Before they were discharged, my husband spent the night there so one of us would get used to their 24 hour care (I didn't because I was having PTSD issues with being in the hospital...I spent two months there on bedrest). 

• We spent 6-8 hours a day there for the 26 days 2 of them were in then DH and I took turns going in for the next couple days until #3 was released then DH came home for chemo treatments and my mom and SIL came to help.  They stayede with the 3 everyday for 3-4 hours while I went to see #4. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Visit our blog at www.benandkarisjourneytoparenthood.blogspot.com
  • My twins were born at 35W, 5 days. They spent a week in the NICU for glucose level issues, some eating issues etc. Also, they had to be on antibiotics as a result of an infection I had upon delivery. I have a 2 year old at home so it was difficult to spend a ton of time there. I typically went around 3 in the afternoon and would stay for a few feedings...leaving around 9:00 PM. The hospital was about 60 minutes away (even more with Chicago traffic) so that made it a little challenging as well. I did feel guilty during the day, but realized that I could only do so much. I had another child at home and knew I was heading down to the hospital later in the day. I also reminded myself of the great care the NICU was providing and knew they were in great hands!
  • My boys are my only children... if I had older ones it would be different, but I spent everyday from 8am-2pm at the hospital and then went home, cooked dinner, did laundry.  DH came home from work, we both ate... sometimes I napped and then we went back to the hospital together from usually 7pm-9pm.  That gave DH some time with the boys too.  I read, worked on their baby books, pumped, and really just hung out with them.  It was much more relaxing to me to be by their side than hanging out at home.

• My boys were just born at 34w 5d, (9 days ago) and we've been there every day for about 6 hours, but with the drive it's closer to 8.5-9 hours.  The hospital is over an hour away, and i'm trying to make it there for the 12 pm and 4 pm feedings, and then with pumping after their feeds, we end up not leaving until after 6.  I cry about it every day, and am seriously debating getting a hotel room closer, but DH is against it.  I just tell myself the nurses are great, and I call numerous times a day to check in.  I'm doing everything I can at this point.
    Clomid x 2 cycles ..... BFN. 6/08 Gonal F with TI- BFN. 7/08 Gonal F #2 - IUI 7/11, BFN. 9/22/08 IUI #2 and Accupuncture - Chemical Pregnancy. 11/08 IUI #3 with accupuncture - BFN. 12/08 IUI #4 BFN. 5/09 IVF #1 ER 7/6/09, ET 7/9/09 - BFN. FET 12/18/09 - BFN IVF #2 -ER 3/6, ET 3/9, OMG - BFP!!! Beta #1 3/22 -332, Beta #2 3/24 - 701, Beta #3 - 14,889 - 1st u/s - TWINS!! SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME!!! ***Why can't 88 million sperm and 3 eggs find each other in an organ the size of a pear??*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins--not through strength but by perseverance. - H. Jackson Brown
  • My girls were born at 34 weeks and will be in the hospital for at least a few more weeks. I had a c-section so once I was discharged I am following the babies feeding schedule.  They eat every 3 hours, I make sure to be there for at least 3 of the feedings,  One will eat and then the other eats about one hour later so I am there for 2- 2 &1/2  hours each time, sometimes longer. I also make sure to do skin to skin contact at least once a day just to have some bonding time.  My girls are going back and forth between tube feedings and bottle so since I am pumping, I make sure to spread out my visits so I have time to pump and bring in milk with me. It is a very tiring schedule, always on the go but I can't see not being with them as much as possible, I feel like they need that bonding time just as much as I do, but you have to find a balance because over doing it is not good for anyone, you need your rest and time to recover. 
  • Thanks for all of the responses. I was really curious how that experience goes for people.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Mine were born at 34w4d and were in for 15 & 17 days. The first week I was home DH would drive me to my parent's house on his way into work and then from there my mom would take me to the NICU around 10:00 because they ate at 10:30 and 11 and that way I was there for their feeding and also for the Dr. rounds which were usually around 11. I would stay through their next feeding and leave around 3:00. My mom would bring me home, and then DH and I would go back around 8:00 after he got home from work and we had dinner. Once I could drive I kept the same routine and would just drive myself. On weekends we would get breakfast on our way to the NICU and then stay there almost all day, usually leaving the hospital to go get lunch somewhere for a bit of a break. We'd come home around 4:30 or 5. Sometimes we'd go back in the evening, but most weekend my parents would go in the evening so that someone was there with them and DH and I could get a bit of a break.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"