Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Droopy Eye-WWYD?

So DS will be 5 months next week. The last month or so I have noticed that his right eye is sometimes more closed then his left eye. its usually when he is tired. i've noticed it in person and really notice it when looking at pictures of him. sometimes when he is waking up his left eye will pop right open and the right eye struggles a bit. DH thinks its fine, but even my mom pointed it out in a few pictures. DH mentioned it to the pediatrician at his 4 month visit and the Ped said he didnt think anything was wrong, that it was probably just Chase being tired. but i'm thinking whats the harm in taking him to an opthamologist just to get it checked? google of course has been my source of info, (lol) but it looks ike there can be a condition that infants are born with that causes a droopy eyelid. its treatable, but can lead to lazy eye if untreated.

I did call a pediatric opthamologist to schedule an appt. The woman who answered said "Just so you know the only treatment for that is surgery." I wonder why she would say that to me. Is that to try to talk me out of having it looked at? I'm sure there is nothing wrong but I would rather have it looked at just to be sure.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Droopy Eye-WWYD?

• Options
    I have noticed the same thing in DD (she is 5.5 months). I am going to ask about it at her 6 month appointment.
  • Options
    Bring him to the pediatric ophthalmologist.  We bring DD to one, she has a slight lazy eye and aniscoria (one pupil larger). Much better to get these things treated when they are young and it is still fixable!
    Baby #3
    BabyFetus Ticker>
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks. I made the appointment for a Pediatric Opthamologist. Its well worth it to me to get some answers or even a confirmation that I'm a crazy new mom who is worried about nothing :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

As someone who had surgery for a lazy eye at the ripe old age of 10 months, let me reasure you that if it's necessary; it's definitely not as bad as that woman made it sound.

I was in Mass Eye & Ear for only one night, and that was back in the 70s. I can only imagine how much easier the procedures are these days. I still require a slight vison correction, but that's only related to regular old nearsightedness, not the lazy eye.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"