Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Working moms-please advise

I'm going to try to make this short: 

I was planning on finding a part-time job.  Instead I found a fantastic full-time job.  They want me full-time, and I'm afraid if I ask about being part-time, I will blow the opportunity.  

The job is 5 minutes from my house, is all around perfect for me, great pay, benefits, etc.   

My question to you ladies is, if you had the chance to work only part-time (meaning your family could afford it although you'd obviously bring home less $), would you give up the full time job in a heartbeat?  Am I crazy for considering leaving my toddler and baby all day every day if I don't absolutely have to?  If you work full-time, do you feel like your work-home balance is manageable?

I am so so torn!  Thanks for any input. 

Re: Working moms-please advise

• Options

Here's the way I look at it:

As much as I would LOVE to stay at home, I realize that in a few years, my baby will be in school, and not home during the day anymore.  If I had the shot at a great full-time job, I would take it because jobs are hard to come by these days, and when your kids are in school you can't guarantee that a job like this will still be around. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I absolutely LOVE the balance between my FT job and being a mommy.  I love my job and it pays great, and then I get to come home and be mommy to a great kid.  I could never be a SAHM or even work PT - I need adult time and I don't want my entire life to be about babies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was scared to death about coming back to work (I am a teacher).  Since I've been back, I've been actually really happy.  It gives me a sense of purpose and DD really loves daycare.  I don't know if I would give up my job now, even though I was was searching frantically for a part time job during my maternity leave.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If you had asked me this 2.5 weeks ago, I would've said do part time. Now that I have been back at work for 2 weeks now, I have to admit that it's not that bad.  However, I attribute that to my short commute (10 minute walk) and my hours (9-5).  In my opinion, it is totally manageable.  Don't get me wrong, I miss my little girl more than anything but I know she's in good hands at home with our nanny. 

• Options
    I love my job and love working full time and just couldn't not do it.  If it's something you like, go for the full time job. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I guess I am in the minority.  I would go down to part time in a heartbeat if I could, and I have been back to work since my son was 6 weeks old!  Even when your kid goes to school, working part time is great because you can work when they are in school and be home in time to get them off the bus and spend time with them.  I feel like I am missing so much and it is really hard for me personally to not have guilt and have a balance right now.  So, if I had the chance to be part time financially, I would totally do it!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageLaura_Lee:

Here's the way I look at it:

As much as I would LOVE to stay at home, I realize that in a few years, my baby will be in school, and not home during the day anymore.  If I had the shot at a great full-time job, I would take it because jobs are hard to come by these days, and when your kids are in school you can't guarantee that a job like this will still be around. 

I agree.  I actually want to go 80% when my kid starts 5K, because he will be old enough to remember it and we will probably have sports when he is older. 

• Options
    I would love to work part time but I can't make my current job part time at the moment and love it so I don't really want to move on just yet.  My biggest complaint about my current job is we just moved our office and I am stuck in the car for over 2 hours every day.  If it was only 10 min it would be a huge improvement.
  • Options

I took a pay cut to work 30 hours a week instead of 40 and have found it to be a great balance for me.  I love having Wednesdays off to be with my girl.  I still make a decent income and am working enough hours to cover the benefits (insurance, etc) for my family.  Due to our family situation (husband is working part-time on evenings/weekends, in school full time for grad school and is home with LO while I'm at work) I don't know how I would be able to keep up with life without having those extra hours at home.  Obviously we have a unique situation - a "tag team" effort of raising the baby.     

If you are excited about the position and feel that you would be ok with working that much, then why not?  In the end, if it doesn't work out, you could still ask to reduce your hours or go part-time?  How would you know if it would work for you if you didn't give it a chance? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm kind of the opposite.  The school I really wanted to work at had an opening available for this so I took it full-time.  I LOVE this job but I'm struggling every day and wish that it was part-time or that I had been able to take off a year before returning (school started when DD was 8 weeks old).  If/when number 2 is in the works, I will definitely need to go part time or take a year off.  It's too much for me.
  • Options
    Thanks for all this great input.  I guess I should have also mentioned that we absolutely could benefit from the extra money--it's not like we are rolling in dough or anything, it's just that, from the get-go, it was our plan to have me work part-time so that I could be with the kids more.
  • Options

I found it was much easier to manage a full-time job when I only had my dd.  Now that my little guy has come along, it seems that life is exponentially busier. 

But I may have a different situation than most so let me give you some background - I have a stepson in high school and a daughter who is 6.  They have activities and such that take up time and that split my dh and I up so I'm often left to take care of the two younger kids while trying to keep up with the cooking and cleaning, etc. which means that I get about half of what I want to get done, done.

Also, I work from home so I'm pretty much on baby duty until my husband leaves at 7:45 to take my son to daycare so I'm not able to start working early.  My dd gets on the bus at 8:45 and although I try to start working at 8, I'm often packing a lunch or making breakfast in that time.  A lot of times, I don't start working until 9.  Then, my dd gets off the bus at 4:00 and it's the same thing, I am working but am constantly interrupted so it's very hard.

For the above reasons, I really feel pulled in a hundred different directions - I have a ton of work that needs to get done so I do some at night but then there are also household chores to be done.  I'm sure once my son gets more independent some of the issues will be resolved.

After that long winded response, I'd jump at part-time hours.

• Options
    I left my awesome full time job at a company I had been w for over 5 yrs to work part time. The job pays slightly more (like a dollar) per hr but is not as fun or great as my previous. I love the decision I made. I only work 3 days a week then get to be w my baby. Once she goes to school maybe I'll look into full time, but thts not for yrs to come. I want to enjoy her now. Everyone is different and you have to do what you can live w. I make about $400 less per month but our bills still get paid. I gave up my acrylic nails and expensive make up, dh gave up starbucks and fast food every day and we have money left for fun extras still. It's an adjustment and we shop more frugal, but we aren't struggling and we still have fun.
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"