Working Moms

If you stopped BFing after returning to work

Hi ladies, I used to lurk on here a lot.  I posted this a couple weeks ago and got a good response. I thought I'd post one more time because I'm still looking for a specific group. 

I'm working on my Master's thesis and having a hard time getting participants. I'm looking at women who went back to full time work and stopped breastfeeding after returning to work (within first month back).  My study is on the experiences of women who go back and stop vs those who continue.  I do have some spots open for women who went back and continued, but I'm specifically looking for women in hourly positions for that.  The women who stopped it doesn't matter if hourly or salaried. 

It's only a 30-60 minute interview over the telephone and you'll get a $5 amazon gift card.

The main things I'm looking for are those who went back to FT work between 6 and 16 weeks post partum, and you were breastfeeding when you went back to work.  (If this is your 2nd child and your first is under 2.5 years old you may still be eligible)

I am NY based and the original intention was to stay in NY since we have a recent workplace BFing law.  However, I'm expanding out to see if I can recruit from other states with BFing workplace laws. So I'm looking for people from: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, D.C, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming

For more info email me at wingnutmwc@yahoo.com, you can also PM me but email will be faster.

Thanks!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: If you stopped BFing after returning to work

• Well I'm not interested in an interview but I just wanted to throw out a little info. I went back to work full time and pumped. I'm hourly and work front desk at a hotel. Hotel business can vary greatly between places. Some hotels have multiple desk staff working at all times, and like my place of work, I am almost always the only person working in the entire hotel during my 8 hour shift. Our break isn't an official break where I get to leave or go somewhere during my break time. Sometimes on slow days I could be on my computer for a couple of hours without seeing a single person or answering a phone; and some days it's so jam packed busy that I really wouldn't get the chance to relax. This created the worst depletion to my breast milk supply. Our office consists of the front desk and the back office. If it wasn't too busy, I could go into the back portion of the office and pump. I could hear if someone came to the desk. So if someone did, I would quickly shut off the pump, throw my shirt back down and go up there. Then there were the buzy days where i couldn't do it at all, and i would leak straight through my bra. This made me so dissapointed. SO, moral of the story is that once i'm done with school and snag my career job in ultrasound tech; i'm sure i will have a little more option as how to pump. I figure maybe my story might spark an interest on a future interview subject of someone in the hotel industry in a similar situation.
  • imagetohave2hold:
    Well I'm not interested in an interview but I just wanted to throw out a little info. I went back to work full time and pumped. I'm hourly and work front desk at a hotel. Hotel business can vary greatly between places. Some hotels have multiple desk staff working at all times, and like my place of work, I am almost always the only person working in the entire hotel during my 8 hour shift. Our break isn't an official break where I get to leave or go somewhere during my break time. Sometimes on slow days I could be on my computer for a couple of hours without seeing a single person or answering a phone; and some days it's so jam packed busy that I really wouldn't get the chance to relax. This created the worst depletion to my breast milk supply. Our office consists of the front desk and the back office. If it wasn't too busy, I could go into the back portion of the office and pump. I could hear if someone came to the desk. So if someone did, I would quickly shut off the pump, throw my shirt back down and go up there. Then there were the buzy days where i couldn't do it at all, and i would leak straight through my bra. This made me so dissapointed. SO, moral of the story is that once i'm done with school and snag my career job in ultrasound tech; i'm sure i will have a little more option as how to pump. I figure maybe my story might spark an interest on a future interview subject of someone in the hotel industry in a similar situation.

Thanks for your story!  I'm trying to look at the differences in job type with hourly and salaried, since it can be harder for those who are hourly to take breaks.  And I'm looking at women who were able to continue BFing and those who were not.

Unfortunately it has just been very hard to recruit people! 

If you would happen to be change your mind and be interested in the interview please let me know.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"