High-Risk Pregnancy

slight placental separation @6w (repost from June 2011)

Tuesday morning I woke up to pink spotting, it was there only when I wiped but I was really concerned so I called my doctor.  He told me that I could come into the office.  When we got there he gave me a vag u/s. We were able to see the baby who measured right on track at 6w0d and we were also able to see the little flicker of the heartbeat. Smile

Then the doctor gave us the bad news that there is a "slight separation" of the placenta from the uterus.  This is really bad because that is how the baby gets oxygen and nutrients throughout the pregnancy. The placentia is not supposed to seperate until AFTER the birth. Sad  I'm supposed to stay in bed until I go back to the doctor on Monday.  Please say a prayer for me and my little one. 

The doctor also checked my progesterone and said it was fine at 26.

I  hope I don't have to stay in bed the entire pregnancy, but I'll do anything to have a healthy baby in my arms. 

Does anyone have any experience/information on placential separation?

imageDS born 6/11/11, miscarriage on 8/6/2012 at 10w5d, miscarriage on 12/29/13 at 5w4d, BFP #4 on 2/21/2104 at 3w4d - EDD 11/3/2014 ♡

Would you like to read/follow my blog?

Re: slight placental separation @6w (repost from June 2011)

• I had a placental abruption at 13 weeks. It is very scary, but I made it just fine the rest of my pregnancy. I had to quit my job because my doctor told me nothing physical for the rest of my pregnancy. I woke up with heavy bleeding and thought I was having a miscarriage. I stopped bleeding after 6 weeks, and It went from heavy bleeding to old brown blood toward the end of the 6 weeks. Just take it easy, because I can get worse, and I worried my entire pregnancy that it was going to completely detach and I would lose my baby. I know its hard, but try not to stress too much. I wish I wouldn't have so much. Just do what your doc says, and don't push it!
  • I had the same thing happen to me.  My first bleed was at 26 weeks, which is when they determined I had a slight tear/abruption.  I was in the hospital for a few days and then bedrest for a week and a half.  I was then allowed to go back to work, but had to take it really easy.  I only lasted at work for a few days and then landed back in the hospital for a week with another bleed.  Since 28 1/2 weeks I've been on complete bedrest.  I've had one other minor bleeding episode since being on bedrest, but for the most part things have calmed down considerably.   I'm monitored weekly with ultrasounds and non-stress tests and the baby looks great!

Bedrest is definitely not fun, but after awhile you just start to accept that this is what you have to do to have a healthy baby and it becomes easier to just lay around.  

Good luck to you!  Please keep us updated after your appt. next week.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My pregnancy has been an absolute roller coaster of bleeding and spotting and ultrasounds and now non stress tests. Bed rest is zero fun but you really have to do whatever it takes to relieve any stress to your body and your baby. My one piece of advice to you is to not allow this setback to prevent you from moving forward with your pregnancy in a positive way; I don't think I get truly excited or started planning until after my anatomy scan at 20 weeks and I feel like I cheated myself and DH out of so much of the joy of the experience. Every day is a new day and a day that you are still pregnant and you should embrace it. I wish you all the best for a happy and healthy 9 months. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"