Working Moms
Options

is this weird?

Every time I pick up my little guy at day care, all the older, toddler aged kids come up to me and say, "Mommy!"  I don't get the feeling that they actually think that I am their Mommy.  Maybe they are just acknowledging that I am Ben's Mommy? 

I have always acknowledged all the kids at dc.  I know most of their names.. so maybe they just like me?  Maybe they are just happy to see any Mommy, because that means their Mommy will be there soon too.  

What do you think?  

Re: is this weird?

• Options
    The same thing happens to me.  I've also seen DS call other women "mommy" and other men "daddy."  I think he just doesn't know yet how to address other adults unless he knows their name. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Funny you posted this because there is a little girl (2), that always runs up to me and calls me mommy when I go to pick up my son. She follows me around and pulls on my shirt wanting my attention. I don't think it's weird, she's probably just excited to see someone new and I try to give her a little attention the few minutes I see her.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD doesn't "call" other people Mommy, but she will say "mommy" if she sees a mother/child together. Like she's saying "that's his mommy".
  • Options
    Kids in my son's class do this, too, especially the ones that aren't great on their verbal skills.  I think they just mean, "it's somebody's mommy!"  DH says they're particularly attracted to him when he picks DS up--he gets swarmed by all 10 of them at once.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    The kids at my daycare call me "B's mommy" and call my husband "mike", I think it's funny.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Some of the kids in my son's class (1 year olds) do this when I pick him up.  Most of them seem to be just commenting that I am his mommy, but one poor little girl clearly means "I want my mommy, when is she going to come pick me up?"  Meanwhile, my son briefly acknowledges my presence and then goes back to playing with toys!  I have to drag him out of there.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    It's totally normal. It happens all the time. They don't know your name, they just know that you're a mommy.
  • Options

imageThe_Jen626:
    The kids at my daycare call me "B's mommy" and call my husband "mike", I think it's funny.

Yup, me too.  I get called Will's mommy all the time and there's one little boy that constantly wants to give me hugs and kisses.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"