2nd Trimester

Severe Eczema During Pregnancy

Hello Everyone,

My name is Tiffany, and I am new to the website, am 14 weeks pregnant. I need some help because I can not take my severe eczema, I have had it my whole life, but during this pregnancy it has gotten out of control. I went to the ER because it was so bad, and they gave me a steroid in an IV that was safe for the baby and had me follow up with the same steroid in a pill form for 5 days, but as soon as the pills were gone it inflammed again. I am currently now self treating myself with Corticool, baby powder (to prevent moisture, bc that makes it worse), and Benadryl (for the itching, as it as out of control), the ER doctors are convinced it is just the hormones forcing the Eczema to become worse, but never in my life has it hurt so bad. It is over half of my body, from my face to my waist. With my first child I never went through this, and I am going crazy.  It almost feels like a sunburn at times, but I am staying out of sunlight as much as possible. Does anyone have something similar? Or does anyone have a natural way to treat this, I am sick of being sleepy from the Benadryl. Thanks so much.

Re: Severe Eczema During Pregnancy

• mine's never been *that* bad, but i treat it with cool oatmeal baths and aquaphor lotion.  benadryl has a lotion too.
  • If you have insurance I would just go straight to a Dermatologist. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJoes_love:
    mine's never been *that* bad, but i treat it with cool oatmeal baths and aquaphor lotion.  benadryl has a lotion too.

I had it horrible as a kid, it's starting to come back on my legs with my pregnancy. Aveeno used to make oatmeal bath products that I would use all the time. It really helped. I would call a dermatologist and get to see them right away if it is that bad.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Yeah, I think that is what I am going to have to do is resort to going to the dermatologist... I almost think it is something else rather then Eczema... I have never in my life had it this bad with my son it was only on my hands and a little bit on my chest and stomach, but it was manageable. Who knows.. I will resort to oatmeal baths again, and see if it helps again. I had a friend with lupus who said she actually used regular plain oatmeal to control here lupus rash so I wonder if that will work, I am desperate at this point. Thank you for your input. :)
  • Do you have a humidifier?  I know running one at least while I sleep helps keep my skin moisturized and helps my eczema breakouts.  I had a bad eczema breakout a couple of weeks ago (it covered half of my face!) and used a hydracortozone creme (Cortaid XL or something like that) and in about 4 days it was gone.  If it's all over your body, I would reccommend cool showers, as warm water can cause more irritation.  I would use a gentle cleanser and try to keep it moisturized.  If possible, also try to avoid excessive sweat and if you do sweat, I would shower as soon as possible.

Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!  I know eczema breakouts can be so rough.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also--there is a prescription product called Derma Smoothe that may be safe for pregnant women--ask your doctor.
  • Speak with your OBGYN most likely they can prescribe you some type of topical ointment.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I never had eczema until i got pregnant... i think the second i got pregnant the skin around my eye went crazy. it hurts. its everywhere. it was really really bad until i would say ---- 18 weeks and then it got better.

Im not sure if it got better because i was further along or because i started taking claritin every day form my allergies. I have it really bad on my one hand and the dr rx some rx strength cortisone to put on it-- that works like wonders ( actual rx cream not the kind you can buy over the counter that they gave me first to try out and did nothing). I notice that if i dotn take allergy medicine that it gets worse, and if i am fighting off a bug it gets worse and i need to use more of the cream. 

sorry that you are miserable. Its the pits. i understand-- if someone tells me - it will all be worth it when the baby comes-- im going to smack them. my skin exploding has nothing to do with being excited about having a baby.  

• My dermatologist prescribed Rx pregnancy safe topical ointment. I have to use it everyday to feel relief. I would recommend seeing a derm. Dr.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have had it my whole life too and with my last pg and this one it flared up...The best stuff out there that me and my mom and brother who all have it is spectracare.It comes in a body wash and also a lotion which is a godsent and works the best. I have tried everything on the market and so dr this is the best product and I use it religously..good luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"