Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Transitioning from RNP to crib = FAIL!

So last night I decided it was time to move DD to her crib at night. For the past month or so I have been putting her in there for atleast one nap a day (the rest are in her swing) and she will take her usual 30 miinute nap just fine.

Well last night, it wasn't too hard to get her to sleep and she woke after her first half hour which she always does. She went back to sleep fine, so I was thinking she was ok with it. I couldn't have been more wrong! She woke up an hour later and wouldn't take her paci, so I nursed her for a few mins and she went back to sleep fine, but only for another hour. So after refusing to go back to sleep in there that time, I caved and brought her back in the RNP in our room.  I wasn't about to be in there every hour and I didn't want a grumpy baby in the morning. She still only slept for 3 hours at a time in her RNP, so it was a bad night.

Anyone have any experiences with this or advice? I put her in a sleepsack, we've never swaddled because she has a meltdown if we try.

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Transitioning from RNP to crib = FAIL!

• Options

Is it that you want her in the crib or you want her in her own room?

We moved DD to her own room at 6 weeks old....but she stayed in her RNP.  She will.not. sleep on her back.  Every so often I try a nap in her crib and it lasts 30 mins (normal nap 1-2 hrs).

In the RNP she STTN without waking. 

I have decided that I am not moving her to her crib until she is a proficient roller and can decide to sleep back, tummy, whatever without me having to worry.  Hopefully that'll happen before she's too big for the RNP ;P

• Options

We had the same problem and now she's back in the RNP in our room.  I actually love her in our room, but I want her to sleep in her own crib now.

My problem is... she's a big girl and weighs 21lbs.  She's going to be forced out of that RNP soon enough... 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have never used the RNP, but maybe you could elevate the mattress at one end of the crib?  Maybe if she feels more upright that will help?
  • Options
    my son started his wakeful period at this age & he also started teething more intense so I thought the extra transition made our lives worse... but 2 weeks later (now) he has calmed on the constant waking & sleeps in his crib from 7-8, then wakes like yours, then goes back down til 1-2. it's amazing. then I often take him back to bed with me so he can nurse & I sleep. I'm learning that he's nursing less & less through the night so in due time I am expecting a natural true sttn, in his crib,,,, I always try to remind myself : babysteps is a term for a reason! good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagenaylon511:

We moved DD to her own room at 6 weeks old....but she stayed in her RNP.  She will.not. sleep on her back.  Every so often I try a nap in her crib and it lasts 30 mins (normal nap 1-2 hrs).

I have decided that I am not moving her to her crib until she is a proficient roller and can decide to sleep back, tummy, whatever without me having to worry.  Hopefully that'll happen before she's too big for the RNP ;P

This is exactly the same for us too!  DD will NOT sleep on her back.  In the mornings she usually wakes up at 5:15 when DH gets up for work and I feed her and put her back down.  In the RNP, she'll sleep until 7:30/8:00.  If I try to put her in the crib, she'll maybe sleep for a half hour.  I've  pretty much given up on the idea of her using her crib for now. 

• Options
    imagenaylon511:

In the RNP she will do anywhere between 4-5.5 hours fo her first stretch and then usually 3-4 after that, ad then maybe a couple more.  I would prefer to get her into her crib in her room since I know bad habits form at 4 months.  She naps 30 mins regardless of where she sleeps.

• Options

imageKKM:
    I have never used the RNP, but maybe you could elevate the mattress at one end of the crib?  Maybe if she feels more upright that will help?

I thought about doing that. I did see those crib wedges at BRU.

• Options

It's hard to know whether the issue is position or location.

DS just started sleeping in his crib two nights ago after sleeping in a cradle in our room. I started by putting him down for ALL his naps in his crib during the day. He used to just nap wherever, so I figured I needed to teach him to sleep in his crib first, THEN teach him to sleep on his own in there at night. He's been doing great, but he has always done fine sleeping flat on his back in the cradle, so there wasn't a positioning issue to deal with.

• Options
    What worked for us was slowly working up to it. DD2 used to nap in her swing and sleep in her RNP at night. First I transitioned her from napping in her swing to her RNP when she stopped napping so well in her RNP around 3ish months. This went pretty well and she was napping good again. Then she started napping poorly in her RNP around 4ish months so I started having her nap in her crib. What helped with this transition, was elevating the the head of the crib mattress slightly to make it feel more like the RNP. Her napping improved after this (I think she was starting to get uncomfortable and too big for RNP). After she was waking a lot at night in her RNP I transitioned her to her crib (with the mattress elevated) at night. After a couple initial nights of difficulty she is now sleeping great in her crib. She has a cold now, so is waking up more, but before that she was STTN in her crib which she hasn't done since she was 2 months old!
    Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • Options
    imagefussbucket:

DS just started sleeping in his crib two nights ago after sleeping in a cradle in our room. I started by putting him down for ALL his naps in his crib during the day. He used to just nap wherever, so I figured I needed to teach him to sleep in his crib first, THEN teach him to sleep on his own in there at night. He's been doing great, but he has always done fine sleeping flat on his back in the cradle, so there wasn't a positioning issue to deal with.

• Options
    imagefussbucket:

I'm pretty sure it is the position. I have put her in her RNP in her room and she slept normal. The only reason I don't put her in her crib for all her naps is because it is hard to get her down for a nap. I have to rock her for a good hour and then she only takes 30 minute naps, that's why I usually put her in the swing. I can only do drowsy, but awake at night. During the day she throws a fit if I try.

Thanks for all your input ladies! I think I will try to elevate the head of her mattress.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"