June 2011 Moms
Options

risk of miscarriage lower after seeing heartbeat?

Is this true? I just read an article on fit pregnancy that said risk of miscarriage drops to 2% after you see the heartbeat.

I know that a good hb is a great sign, but 2% seems like an exaggeration to me.

Re: risk of miscarriage lower after seeing heartbeat?

• Options
    I have only heard % decrease by weeks...not by heartbeat. Sorry I can't help ya there Tongue Tied
  • Options

https://pregnancyloss.info/statistics/

I found this site a few weeks ago. According to this, there is a 5% chance of miscarriage after 5 weeks, and it's less if you hear the hb.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was just reading about this because my husband is dying to tell people.  There was a medical website with multiple references that said between 6-12 weeks and hearing a heartbeat has a 5% chance of miscarriage.
  • Options
    My doctor told me after I saw the HB on Monday that the m/c rate dropped from 20-25% to around 10% and will continue to drop as every week goes by. So, she said that I wasn't out of the woods yet, but hearing the heartbeat is a very good sign.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageLexGator:
    My doctor told me after I saw the HB on Monday that the m/c rate dropped from 20-25% to around 10% and will continue to drop as every week goes by. So, she said that I wasn't out of the woods yet, but hearing the heartbeat is a very good sign.
    This is what I've heard too. By the 10th week, and if you've heard the hb again, it supposedly drops to 1% chance, but I have a hard time believing it's that low even then.
    married 09.06.08
    BFP #1 - m/c on 12.22.09 @ 8w3d
    BFP #2 - d&c on 07.22.10 @11w1d
    BFP #3 - DS born on 06.22.11 @41w3d!
    BFP #4 - Due 04.24.13
  • Options

I have to wonder how much this has to do with actually seeing the heartbeat vs. how far along the pregnancy is when the u/s is done.  Except for high-risk or other special circumstances, most doctors don't do u/s's earlier than 8 weeks or so, at which point a heartbeat should definitely be visible.  U/s done early enough that the hearbeat isn't visible yet have an inherent higher risk of miscarriage simply because chances of viability increase each week of pregnancy.  

Either way, no one is ever out of the woods.  I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I have been on the wrong end of statistics that seemed to be in my favor enough times to remain extremely cautious.  All I can do is hope, pray, love my baby each day that it is with me, and take nothing for granted.

Call me jaded. *sigh*

• Options

imageikissedthecook:
    imageLexGator:
    This is what I've heard too. By the 10th week, and if you've heard the hb again, it supposedly drops to 1% chance, but I have a hard time believing it's that low even then.

I have a hard time believing that too, knowing so many of my friends who've miscarried around 10-12 weeks.

• Options
    imageerinlovesdavid:

I have to wonder how much this has to do with actually seeing the heartbeat vs. how far along the pregnancy is when the u/s is done.  Except for high-risk or other special circumstances, most doctors don't do u/s's earlier than 8 weeks or so, at which point a heartbeat should definitely be visible.  U/s done early enough that the hearbeat isn't visible yet have an inherent higher risk of miscarriage simply because chances of viability increase each week of pregnancy.  

Either way, no one is ever out of the woods.  I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I have been on the wrong end of statistics that seemed to be in my favor enough times to remain extremely cautious.  All I can do is hope, pray, love my baby each day that it is with me, and take nothing for granted.

Call me jaded. *sigh*

Word.
    My Blog
    We love and miss you Jillian (18w) and Peanut (6w). Welcome to our TAC miracle Jacob!
  • Options
    My doctor told me when we saw the hb that chances of miscarriage drop to 10-15%.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageerinlovesdavid:

Call me jaded. *sigh*

Unfortunately, this.

Almost everyone I know who has miscarried (probably a dozen people) has done so in the 8-10 week window, after seeing a HB.  I want so badly to believe those stats but IRL it doesn't seem to work out that way. 

DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c
  • Options
    I had read that your risk of miscarriage drops to 5% after seeing the heartbeat.  I had a miscarriage at 11 weeks after seeing the heartbeat at 7weeks.  We had started telling friends and family, after the miscarriage I was still glad we told everyone. The support I felt after was amazing.   
  • Options
    i heard the 5% stat as well but definitely holding off on telling the world until 12 weeks, we have only told close family...parents sibs and we are telling our best-ies this weekend (9weeks).
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Options
    ditto erinlovesdavid, exactly.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was told with my first pregnancy that after we saw the heartbeat at 7 weeks it was down to a 2% chance.  We told family and close friends right away with both pregnancies.  I'm praying for a healthy term baby (obviously... who isn't) but I figure if the worst happens I would need the support anyways.  In my opinion I would tell those closest to you who's support you would need anyway.

Good Luck!!!!

• Options

After my first u/s, the doctor said less than 5% as well. (She was thinking more along 3%.)

Anyways, we're still holding out to tell the world until the 2nd trimester starts. Our immediate families will all know in the next few weeks or so!

• Options
    The best thing to do is just relax and realize there is NOTHING you can do to prevent a miscarriage.  Statistically, you will have a healthy baby!  Look at the half full stats instead of the doomsday stats of miscarriage.   Your chance of not miscarrying is way higher than your chance of it happening. Be postive and happy right now and stop researching the scary and bad stats.  It will drive you insane. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"