High-Risk Pregnancy

Heparin Multi Dose Vials & Benzyl Alcohol. Concerned?

This is my second pregnancy using Lovenox, and I'll be switching to Hep soon.

I'm a little concerned w/ the switch... I know the Heparin itself does not cross the placenta (from what I've read), but the dosage the doc wants me to take will likely need to come from the 10,000 multi dose vial, which has Benzyl Alcohol in it (have not found it in preservative free yet). Anyone else using this? I'm a little freaked out and don't know what to do. I'm sure it would be "ok", but got a new warning from the FDA back in June. UGH!

https://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/ucm219000.htm 

Re: Heparin Multi Dose Vials & Benzyl Alcohol. Concerned?

• Wow, I have never heard of this - great info, thanks for sharing.  Could you ask your doc what your other options are?  Perhaps a smaller dose and you just inject yourself twice?  Or would staying on the Lovenox be an option?

I'm sure you're right and everything will be fine, but I can see why you would be nervous.  I hope your docs would be willing to work with you on this. 

Sorry I don't have any helpful information for you, but please keep us posted!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

• Thanks for the response. I was wondering where everyone was! 

I was pretty startled to find this too, knowing that Heparin is (somewhat) commonplace for use in late pregnancy for those of us with clotting disorders. I know it's always about measuring the "risk/benefit" equation...but when I read something in black & white from the FDA about the benzyl alcohol, it makes me pause.

I'll certainly report back. Hoping to find a solution! 

• Loading the player...
  • I wish I had an answer for you, unfortunately I don't.  I would love to hear an update from you though.  My last pregnancy I was on lovenox and then switched to a twice daily dose of herparin towards the end.  I'm pretty sure I'll have to do the same again so I'd love to know what you've found out.  I'll have to bring this up to my dr. at my appointment next week too.

Good luck and thanks for the information!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"