High-Risk Pregnancy

GD vent!

The last week my numbers have been all over the place. Inexplicably low or high. I haven't changed anything. Im starving all the time and ill test my BSL to see if its low and maybe i can have another snack and it will be crazy high. I've had some dull headaches which culminated in a migraine this weekend (my first one ever). I've been told to keep track of when the headaches start and it seems to be coming from the hunger. I've tried upping water, increasing protein, snacking on "free" things and nothing is working. My OB said he'd give it a few more days but they're still bad and so I know I'll be put on insulin during the day. I just hope that works and I can stop feeling so hungry and getting the headaches.

Update/Edit:  I could eat something for lunch and it would be normal (under 120) or even low (a few times below 90) and then I could eat the exact same thing for dinner and it would be over 150.  Most of the time the difference wouldn't be that drastic, but enough for me to know that after weeks of eating right and continuing to do so things were suddenly changing.  I've been put on 2 units of Humulin before dinner and that has seemed to help.  I haven't tried experiementing with eating more carbs at that meal yet.  I'm still waking up in the morning famished.  They upped my insulin overnight as well (as they do at every appointment because it's never below 90) and that has gotten it back to the 90s, where it was about a week ago (spiked up to 104-118 last week). 

I don't skip snacks no matter what.  I'm testing more frequently because I'll be hungry only an hour after eating and assume that my BSL has dropped.  Then it will be either really high, or where you would expect it to be only one hour after eating.  So then I'll wait until 2 hours, test again and then eat even if the number is high.  At most I go 6 hours between meals, but I have a snack in between.  I don't test for ketones at home, but they do test at my office and it's only been high once and that was my first week on the diet. 

So here's the real update:  the headachs aren't related to just the hunger.  With the insulin I've been able to control it better and I'm not getting as hungry.  But I've had a headache basically non stop for 2 weeks now, and they know all about it.  I'm getting so frustrated!  I have had bad swelling for a month now, high bp for 2 weeks.  But I did a 24 hour urine collection and it was good, my liver and platelet counts are good.  But I'm so miserable with the swelling and now with the migraines.  So far, it doesn't seem like I have pre-e since I don't have the proteinuria.  They're not willing to induce at this point.  I have another growth scan for when I'll be 38.5 weeks and if he hasn't come on his own then we'll schedule a c-section date because he's measuring very, very large.  So I won't be going past 39 weeks.  Guess it's good to know there's an end in site.  I just worry about the pre-e symptoms.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: GD vent!

• That is so frustrating! 
  • Sorry you are dealing with it too. I don't get the headaches, but I was starving all the time and they finally gave me fast acting insulin for meals.  It's allowed me to eat more, but it's such a pain to figure out.  It is so frustrating! I think I have 1 high number every day.  IT stinks when you feel like you're doing everything right.  Hang in there.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I am sorry :(

What kind of numbers are you getting?

Your LO will be here soon, and this will be over with!!
  • would your ob be willing to induce at this point instead of insulin?
  • I so agree with you, I was just diagnosed last week, and started tesing on Monday, I have had at least 1 high # every day, and I'm doing everything I'm supposed to!! Ugh...I had an appt w/ my OB last night and she said that she is not to concerned as of now, so I guess we'll just see, but I have the headache, and I am so HUNGRY.....it's like I want my baby to be healthy, but I do not see how it is getting enough nutrition if I'm not eating enough.
  • This happened to me the first week I was on the diet plan because I was skipping my carb snacks when my blood sugar was high and my nutritionist told me to absolutely NEVER skip my snacks, because when you go for longer than 3 hours without eating any form of carbs, your pancreas goes into hibernation mode and stops producing insulin.  This is probably why you're having headaches, too, because this is a sign of being hungry and not getting enough carbs.  Are you testing your ketones?  Because having too many ketones also means you're not getting enough to eat, esp. carbs.  I am not a doctor, but I would suggest, just for a day or so, eating everything you're supposed to and keep testing.  This helped me a lot.  Also, stress will increase your blood sugar, so try not to stress about it (NOT easy, I know!).  Also, I have been going for 15 minute walks or running up and down the stairs in my house a few times after every meal and this has helped A LOT!  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Check out my blog ThreeHundredPages.com Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"