Success after IF
Options

Sippy cup of water in crib at night ok?

The last few nights, James has been waking up repeatedly and screaming. After we give him a cup of milk or water, he calms down and goes back to sleep. Problem is that he often wakes up again 10-15 minutes later and repeats the process. Last night I think he was up 4 times during a one hour period. I don't know if this is just a tactic to see Mommy and Daddy at night, because it seems like he is genuinely thirsty and drinks a lot each time.

I'm thinking of putting a sippy of water in there with him tonight. Granted, he could throw it out of the crib, but it's worth a shot. Is there any reason that would be a bad idea?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sippy cup of water in crib at night ok?

• Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it, we put a sippy cup in her crib everynight. Now she is in a big girl bed, and we still put a sippy cup in her bed.

Dx: PCOS, Anovulation, RPL
    Born via emergency c/s February 9, 2008 - 9lbs, 3 oz!!!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

TTC# 2 since February 2010 - BFP #1 Sept 2010-(5mg Femara, 1500mg Met, Ovridel) Missed M/C at 10w2d, discovered at 13w2d, D&C at 14w

BFP # 2 - February 2011-(1500mg Met, HCG Injection) Missed M/C at 10w1d, discovered at 10w3d, D&C at 11w...RPL testing came back all normal.

Trying again. June 2011 - Clomid/1500 mg Met / Baby Aspirin - BFFN!

July 2011 Femara/1500mg Met/ Baby Aspirin - c/p

August 2011 - Femara/1500mg Met/ Baby Aspirin - c/p

September 2011 - Puregon/ 1500mg Met/ Baby Aspirin - BFFN!!!!

• Options
    The only reason that I would think twice is having to break the habit at some point.  When he is potty training, you will probably want to limit drinks close to bedtime so he doesnt have an accident.  Who knows if the habit will stick but I try to live by "Start as you mean to go on."  I dont always do it but I think about it when making decisions like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-----Lisa-----
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our Pedi always checks to make sure (standard procedure) that we don't put any bottles or sippies in their cribs at night every time we are there for a visit.  She says it's a no-no at any age.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagekimarino13:
    Our Pedi always checks to make sure (standard procedure) that we don't put any bottles or sippies in their cribs at night every time we are there for a visit.  She says it's a no-no at any age.

I have heard this but only with regard to them containing milk, not water. Do you know specifically what she was concerned about? 

I don't want to start a bad habit but at the same time having a newborn who wakes several times a night plus a toddler who's waking several times a night is making me desperate!

• Options

i personally wouldn't do it. I don't want my kids eating/drinking when i'm not around.. it's too easy for them to choke on things. Maybe i'm just uber paranoid b/c a friend of mine died from choking to death at 14y/o... it's all too real to me.

i'd be more concerned about why he's so thirsty - and make sure he's drinking more during the day, not eating too much salty stuff, etc.  If he's drinking a lot I'd talk to a doc - constant thirst is a sign of diabetes (very rare in kids... but still something i'd be concerned about)

And if he's not truly thirsty- well, then it's simply a habit to break - a little CIO will probably do the trick.

• Options
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

i'd be more concerned about why he's so thirsty - and make sure he's drinking more during the day, not eating too much salty stuff, etc.  If he's drinking a lot I'd talk to a doc - constant thirst is a sign of diabetes (very rare in kids... but still something i'd be concerned about)

Thanks, I actually said to my DH last night, "Do you think he's diabetic?" He doesn't seem to drink a ton during the day though. I will try to push more fluids in the daytime hours. 

• Options
    imagenicolita14w:
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

Thanks, I actually said to my DH last night, "Do you think he's diabetic?" He doesn't seem to drink a ton during the day though. I will try to push more fluids in the daytime hours. 

My guess is that its just a ploy....it gets you in there doesn't it? It gets you actually INTERACTING (by providing a drink) with him, right?

My guess is, you put the cup in and it might work for a night or two (or not at all) and it'll be a new ploy.

Because of fighing DD so long to actually SLEEP, I refuse to deal with ploys. You need to CIO to "deal" - go to it kid! I promise you, the CIO will be hard but it'll last less time (less nights) than the strategic ploys!

• Options
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

And if he's not truly thirsty- well, then it's simply a habit to break - a little CIO will probably do the trick.

This was my thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"