Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Flying 4 hours with a 5 month old...

Have you flown with your LO yet?  My DS is a bit antsy so I'm a little nervous about flying so long with him.  Do you have any suggestions or advice on flying with such a young baby?
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Hello?

Re: Flying 4 hours with a 5 month old...

• Options
    i did it. my biggest advice is to make sure he naps the day you travel. dd was horrible the night we flew out was so overtired at the hotel. have a paci or bottle or nurse for take off and landing. ask to sit where there is an extra oxygen mask just in case. bring something to distract lo. sorry about format on my phone
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback!!  My LO is such an antsy little guy that I'm so worried about him screaming his lungs out and driving people nuts!  I'll definitely try to nurse for take off and landing!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Hello?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We flew with DD when she was just about 6 months and she was awesome! She slept pretty much the whole 3 hour flight. I think the younger they are, the better b/c they are more likely to sleep the whole flight. When they are mobile, they just want to get off of your lap. The thought of her on a plane now gives me anxiety,
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We flew with DD#1 when she was 5 months old to mexico and had to take 2 flights and she was awesome!   She was great!   She fell asleep before we took off for all the flights!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My advice is to be friendly to the neighbors. We flew to ny to practice - DS did great, not perfect, but the people near me told me it was ok and that babies cry and people just had to deal with it...we are going to South Africa in a few weeks, so I'm hoping he does as well then! I tried to nurse during take off and landing, but it lasts too long...he was fine...
  • Options

We did a flight to Dallas with a layover in Minneapolis this month.  He did great, except he got a little fussy on landing at Dallas and then on landing back home.  I think he just got tired.  He was watching everyone and everything.  I also tried the nursing on take off and landing, but he was hungry before take off so no go.  I just had the pacifier in his mouth and tickled his cheek to suck on it instead. 

The boppy was a lifesaver.  It gave him a place to sleep on me that I didn't have to hold him that whole time.  I plan on flying solo with him to San Antonio in November, so the experience went Ok with me.  It just sucks lugging all the car seat, stroller, etc. thru the airport. 

• Options
    We flew with our DS when he was 2 months old.  He pretty much slept the whole way.  I tried giving him a bottle or a paci at takeoff & landing but he would spit it out.  We are flying again with him this Friday & hoping it will be as easy as last time.
  • Options
    I'm so jealous of everyone who had sleepy babies!!  Well my LO doesn't nap that great anyway.  But anytime the flight attendant or pilot made an announcement it woke her up.  I would get on the plane early (take advantage of early boarding for families!) and try to put her to sleep with the paci and rocking, but then she would wake up. So annoying.  But she was pretty good mostly even though she was awake. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"