Baby Showers

Why Register?

I've had two wonderful showers that were thrown for me a few weeks ago and I appreciate everything that was given to us but the question I always left the shower with was, "What's the point of registering?"  Besides my mom and dad who tried to purchase everything on our registry, only three other people family members actually got stuff off our registry.  We enjoyed registering hoping we'd get what we asked for, but it turns out people just wanted to get us what they thought we needed.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful, which I assume this comes off as, but it was pretty annoying when we get loads of clothes and blankets, toys that we didn't register for, but not anything else that we thought we NEEDED. (Baby tub and shower supplies, swing, sensory toys, crib toys, diapers, etc.)  Since this is our first I will know better the next time around....if we end up having a shower or not.

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Re: Why Register?

• Nope.  We got a lot of stuff off our registry. even if people got us something else, it was usually in conjunction w/ something frmo our registry too.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Return what you can and buy what you need from taking back some of the stuff.  Not everyone follows registries. Fortunately in my social circle most people do follow them and I was lucky with my first (I will not be having a shower this time around, even if someone offers).  Babies really need very few things once they arrive (bottles, a few blankets, some sleepers, etc.). Scroll down to the post that says "Baby shower aggravation" and you will see her post did not get a very good response.  At least you sound somewhat appreciative of what you were given. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I wasn't even expecting showers when I registered. I registered so I had a list of what I really wanted or needed so I could go on a shopping spree a few weeks before the baby is due Big Smile

With that said, we had our first shower and I got 1 thing off of my registry and my next shower is next weekend and I see about 17 things have been bought. I think it depends on your crowd. 

• Honestly though, what each person picked out- they probably thought it was pretty special to them.  Try to be compasionate about that.  Take back what you don't need and try not to worry about it. Its up to you to have the necesscities anways.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No one has offered to throw us any baby showers but we're registering anyway. It will be a checklist for H and I to keep track of what we want to buy and so we can get the completion discount at the end.

Just return what you don't want and use the money toward the items you'd rather have.

• At least wherever you registered most likely offered coupons and discounts just for registering. Plus, whatever isn't purchased off your registery they usually will give you a small discount on the remaining items:-)
  • I haven't had my showers yet, but we know our friends and family will most likely not buy from our registry. We did it to make our life easier when we need to go return things and for the completion coupon. That and I knew SO would have fun registering.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • No, this wasn't our experience at all.  The majority of the items we received at our baby shower were from our registry.  The items that were not on our registry were still really great and very useful.  We didn't get very many clothes at all, which I was pretty happy about. 

• Im not going to lie, registries are hard! You print of pages of info/items, and you have to figure out what the company's short hand for items is and where it is located! Its a lot of work and its not much fun (i.e. its not shopping)...If I wasn't so paranoid that they wouldnt like my gift, I wouldnt buy of registries either.
  • I always buy something off the registry and something they don't have on there that I used a lot.  Sometimes if I buy an expensive item I will just buy an outfit to go with it, although I usually save an outfit for after the baby is born.  I didn't have a registry when I had my showers (they weren't done then) but I've hosted plenty of showers and it has been both ways.  Either a lot of guests buy from the registry or most of them don't.  Just depends on your crowd.

• I'd say my shower experience was a mix.  Some people went off the registry and then added something else.  Others just bought what they felt like buying.

We still need some equipment type items and I think today we'll go through the loads of clothing to determine what we'll keep and what we'll return prior to the baby's arrival.  I can't blame people for not buying $200 strollers or $100 swings, but we do have so many clothing duplicates that I think we'll need to prioritize.

Thenimage Nowimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"