Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

For those of you that have/had medical insurance (clicky poll)

I am just trying to get an idea of how much we will need to pay out-of-pocket for the birth of our future LO.

TIA!

[Poll]

DS#1- Born August 2011 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: For those of you that have/had medical insurance (clicky poll)

• Options

I voted before reading your question in full sorry!

I had a c-section, and between LO and I, I paid almost $5k.  But that depends largely on your insurance plan.  We have a $4k out of pocket max expense per family member.  My employers new insurance will be a $250 co pay and nothing else no matter how I deliver.  HUGE difference.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers M: 31 DH: 34 Dx: PCOS, Endo, Uterine Septum Ovarian Wedge Resection - May 2009 BFP #1 - October 2009 = DS BFP #2 - June 2011 = DD (Total Surprise!) Tree nut allergy in DS diagnosed 4/2012. Currently working with EI for SPD and possible ASD.
  • Options

Not to be a debbie downer, but you may want to consider the fact that you could also have a c-section. I labored perfectly and every indication pointed to a vaginal delivery. DD flipped sides during labor and she was then hitting my pelvic bone. I pushed for 3 hours and she never came down, therefore we had a c-section.

Anyways, I think we paid between $2,000-$3,000 for our c-section, with out of pockets and deductibles. I did also have a charge for an epidural and a charge for the drugs to put me under for the surgery, but that's not normal.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesugarland726:

Not to be a debbie downer, but you may want to consider the fact that you could also have a c-section. I labored perfectly and every indication pointed to a vaginal delivery. DD flipped sides during labor and she was then hitting my pelvic bone. I pushed for 3 hours and she never came down, therefore we had a c-section.

Anyways, I think we paid between $2,000-$3,000 for our c-section, with out of pockets and deductibles. I did also have a charge for an epidural and a charge for the drugs to put me under for the surgery, but that's not normal.

I know there's always a chance of CS. I just didn't want those figures to bring up the average $amount, since I know they are considerable more. I couldn't figure out how to put two polls in one post and didn't want to create another post.

Thanks for the additional info :)

DS#1- Born August 2011 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Every insurance is different - I'd call and ask for a range.
  • Options
    imagesugarland726:

Same thing happened to me and I (my insurance company) was charged for labor and delivery plus the c-section from the hospital and the anestesiologist.  I paid about $1000 out of pocket.   

• Options
    You should call your insurance company and the hospital. There is such a variation depending on what type of plan you have.  We haven't paid anything since DH is military.
  • Options
    You should call them and find out, this is so difficult to predict. I paid the maximum deductable for everything which was $4500 for our plan. DD was hospitalized for a week for some questionable discharge and had to be driven to another city's childrens hospital by an ambulance. I had a very smooth and routine pregnancy and vaginal delivery (only in labor for 11 hrs). The entire bill came to about $35K ($22K for one week at NICU, $6000 for ambulance, and some misc amounts for my own room, delivery, epidural and ob-gyn was around $7000).  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I had a c-section, but thankfully we didn't have to pay a cent out of pocket.

I agree with PPs, call your insurance company and find out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"