Maryland Babies
Options

GBMC or Sinai?

My Dr is affiliated with both hospitals but hasn't been quiet about voicing her bias for Sinai. I haven't heard anything bad about Sinai (or really anything at all) but I've heard a lot of good things about GBMC. Personally, I feel comfortable with GBMC, plus it's closer to us, but she has said that her patients need to be ready to go to either should she be on call and has two patients trying to go to two different hospitals. Part of me wants to just say, screw it, go to Sinai just so that I am where my Dr. is most comfortable in hopes that I get the best experience that way.

Can anyone share experiences at either hospital? Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Someone's getting a little brother!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: GBMC or Sinai?

• Options

:::waits for the obligatory post re: GBMC's high C-Section rate and resulting counter-post that it's due to the volume of high-risk patients they see:::

I have had a couple of family members and friends deliver at GBMC and they had great experiences. Don't know much about Sinai, but I don't think you can go wrong with either!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I didn't have (IMO, of course) the greatest experience at Sinai.  I'll be changing OBs for #2 because of it, actually (my current OB only delivers at Sinai.  Of course, the end result was a healthy baby and mama, so that is what is important.  

I'll send you a PM! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemrs. remy <3:

:::waits for the obligatory post re: GBMC's high C-Section rate and resulting counter-post that it's due to the volume of high-risk patients they see:::

OMG... Too funny, but unfortunately so true!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have no experience at Sinai as I delivered at GBMC.  Even though I ended up with c-section I can only say good things about the doctors and the hospitals.
  • Options

I don't know anyone that has used Sinai, so I cannot compare the two, but I had a great expreience at GBMC. 

Have you asked your OB why she prefers Sinai?  If she doesn't have a great reason, my guess is that she lives closer to it. Wink

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I delivered at Sinai in January and had a great experience!  I ended up needing a c-section (my little one just would not come out on his own) so I dealt with my mid-wife throughout my induction and labor, she was there with me through the c-section as well.  I felt very comfortable with the dr that performed my csection and all of the people involved throughout the entire process.  I was in the hospital for 5 days and the nursing staff was wonderful.  My husband and I both thought Sinai was great and we will definitely be going back there whenever we have another child.
  • Options

I would find out what- if any- policy differences there are between the 2 hospitals - regarding visitors, baby rooming in, etc.  For many moms their doctors are only there while they are pushing w/ just brief visits before that point so you spend most of your time with the nursing staff and it's the hospital anesthesiologist who gives the epidural, not your doctor, etc.  The doctor is basically there to catch the baby and cut the cord.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Lurking, but I delivered at GBMC and I loved it!  The nurses were so helpful.  I honestly think that if it were not for my L&D nurse I would have had a c-section.  I asked for one after 2 hours of pushing and she talked me out of it, she was so encouraging.  They kept me in L&D for longer than is standard because I had some heavy bleeding and my OB wanted to keep an eye on me.  I can't say enough great things about my experience there. 

Oh and I was induced and it was long! 21 hours and I was slow at dilating for a while and the OB had mentioned a possible c-section, but everything worked out. 

• Options
    imageMella&T:

Part of me wants to just say, screw it, go to Sinai just so that I am where my Dr. is most comfortable in hopes that I get the best experience that way.

Maybe I'm just a little sleep deprived and hormonal, but its YOUR birth! LOL! You have to stay at the hospital, she doesn't. You/SO have to deal with the distance from home, she doesn't. You have to deal with food, parking, visitors, etc etc... She doesn't!

I delivered at GBMC and had some issues that might just be specific to me, but overall a pretty good experience. I also ended up with an unplanned c section, but they tried to hold off as long as possible. My LO's heart rate wasn't rebounding after I contracted, so it was necessary. 

GBMC is closer to home for me, which was great for DH as he had to go home to check on our cats and get some things that we forgot. If we were further away, that would be more travel time for him and less time with baby and me! 

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I delivered at GBMC and had nothing but a wonderful experience, no CS either.  The staff was fantastic, the food was bearable, you could basically order 3 meals for each meal so we never paid for DH, the rooms are pretty nice.  I thought the LC was a little nutty (she showed up in a full blown Tinkerbell outfit), but from what I have read on here, apparently many are.  Baby can room in with you or you can use the nursery.  I do believe if you have a CS, you will need someone else staying in the room with you if you want your LO to room in.  If you deliver at GBMC, def ask for a corner room for post partum after you deliver...they are not as cramped as the regular ones, which was nice during visiting time.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options

I delievered at Sinai with my daughter and will be delieving this baby there as well. I love my doctor  and had a great experience with my daughter. I've been seeing the MFM group at the hospital as well since 32 weeks due to boarderline high BP and Crohn's disease.

Why not go one a tour of both and see which one you like the best?

• Options

imageautumn bliss:
      I do believe if you have a CS, you will need someone else staying in the room with you if you want your LO to room in. 

This was true for me for the first 24 hours, however I had extra sedatives during my c/s. They brought L to me to nurse even when no one else was there though so it wasn't like they withheld my baby from me. I loved my experience at GBMC and am going back for #2. I love my OB but it is true what PP said that the dr isn't there long and you are the one who has to stay and deal with nursing staff. I had great nurses, there was only one who didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling, but she didn't do anything that blatantly irked me.

The lactation consultant was very helpful, and even the nursing staff was very helpful as I learned to nurse. I had some trouble with it but everyone was supportive. The staff was great with including DH in everything while he was there.

The parking passes were nice for people who visited frequently, and as PP said the food is good and you can order enough for your DH without paying extra. I also recommend touring both hospitals and seeing what one makes you feel more comfortable.

• Options
    I delivered at GBMC.  I loved it.  The nurses were so nice & understanding about everything (ie: I have a phobia about my wrists, when I casually mentioned it, the nurse said she'd stay away & put my IV in my arm instead).  The L&D rooms are pretty big (DH & my mom, a few nurses, my doc & ppl for the baby were all in there while I pushed & I didn't feel crowded at all!)
    Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
  • Options
    I delivered at GBMC and had to go for "emergencies" three times during my pregnancy.  They were wonderful very thorough and caring.  I would highly recommend GBMC.  
  • Options

I had the exact situation with my doctor. I ended up choosing Sinai (they were both about equally far away), and had a great experience! In the end my doctor said that she had told her sister to deliver at Sinai and that's what she would have chosen. And in the end she was already at Sinai when I went into labor anyway. One good thing is that they are both good hospitals, but because I wanted to go naturally I chose Sinai and it worked very well for me.

P.S. The food is really good there too :) --especially compared to our local hospital, St Agnes 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"