Blended Families
Options

"Where do babies come from?"

...is the question I got asked by my 7yo SD on Saturday. As far as I know this is the first time she has really asked that question. I stumbled through a response that was not what I would have wanted to say if I had been prepared. Dh, SD's bio mom and I all agree that we would like to be straight forward with her using correct terminology but on an age appropriate level. I'm just not sure exactly how to present it at this age. Anyone have suggestions?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Married 10/24/09
DS 4/2/13

Re: "Where do babies come from?"

• Options

From Mommies and Daddies who love each other.

Sometimes that's all they want to know.  Let her ask the question and you answer each one.  You don't need to be pulling out the charts and graphs most of the time that is information overload.

• Options
    imagesweetie0228:

From Mommies and Daddies who love each other.

Sometimes that's all they want to know.  Let her ask the question and you answer each one.  You don't need to be pulling out the charts and graphs most of the time that is information overload.

That's pretty much what I said and she immediately said "but how do they get in the mommy's tummy?"  I was pretty stumped on a good way to answer that question. 

Married 10/24/09
    DS 4/2/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

So far, the only question I've gotten has been "how does the baby get out?" and I just told him that I would go to the hospital, and the doctors would help me take him out. SS accepted that.

?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

To the barnes and noble and/or differ to the bioparent.

As the bio parent I would have said that when a mommy and a daddy love each other so much they make the baby together and the mommy gets to carry baby in a special part of her tummy made just for babies.  Then follow w/ aren't you special your mommy has a special place for you and when you grow up and get married you will have a special place for your babies too.

• Options
    my SS asked this question when I was pregnant. My answer was "well me and your daddy decided that we wanted to have a baby, and Jesus put it there". I don't know how religious you are, but my SS was satisfied with that. Now he keeps asking how to put her back in. LOL.
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Options
    I would say "that is an excellent question" and tell my child that I've seen some great books at the bookstore that explain it all easily.  I'd scope out the cutesy books about where babies come from and then buy one and go home and read it together, and then answer any questions they have.
  • Options

imagehereonceagain:
    I would say "that is an excellent question" and tell my child that I've seen some great books at the bookstore that explain it all easily.  I'd scope out the cutesy books about where babies come from and then buy one and go home and read it together, and then answer any questions they have.

This is a great idea and one I think we will be using.  

To the other posters, none of us want to avoid her question because we'd rather her hear the truth from us than rumors from other children.  We think it's important to be straight forward with her on an age appropriate level.  Although that idea had been agreed upon it's the coming up with what to say that seems to be the hard part.  

Married 10/24/09
    DS 4/2/13
  • Options
    This past summer we explained it to ds as : Boys have boy seeds & girls have girl seeds. When they mix together then it makes a baby." That seemed to be good enough for him but he is only 5.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"