Baby Showers

Hosting shower for SIL, before or after the baby?

My sisters, myself and my Mom are hosting a baby shower for my SIL.  She is due two weeks after me.  We are inviting a few family friends, aunts and cousins.  My aunts and my Mom are of the opinion that the shower should be held after SIL has the baby.  One of my sisters and I think we should do the shower before the baby is here so that she gets more of the big ticket items and not so many clothes.  There will probably be at least fifty women in attendance. 

We will probably have the shower at my parents' house because it's the only location that can accomodate that many people.  I live OOT so we can't hold it at my house.  My sister's house is small, and could never hold that many people.  My other sisters live at home still.

Do you think we should ask my SIL what she would prefer?  Do you think I should just do what my mom wants since the shower will be at her house?

Re: Hosting shower for SIL, before or after the baby?

• 50 people? Yes, I'd want it before.  I don't need 50 new outfits!

Ask your SIL what she wants, then use that to talk to your mom about it again. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I have always attended baby showers that were before the baby was born, especially if there are going to be that many in attendance.  I agree, she will probably want the chance to get larger, more expensive items (the kind that some people may even want to go in with someone else to purchase) before the baby is born so that she knows what she will need to get herself later.  Ultimately though, it is up to your SIL to confirm what it is that SHE wants, yes it may be at your mom's house but its not for her:). 

SO, if it were me I would confirm what SIL wants, then let your mom know and go with that.  Hope this helps! By the way, congrats to both of you!

Amber

• Loading the player...
  • Depending on when the baby is born, bringing it to a party with 50 people could be very stressful and difficult for the new mom. Especially during flu season. Especially if the event is close to the birth and the mom or baby have medical issues or trouble breastfeeding. I would SO prefer to have the shower before the birth, just so I can see what people get me and plan to get other things I need before the birth. Even without any shower, she will get tons of outfits.

I would wait another day and then show your mom/sister all the responses to this post!

• Yes, I think that you should ask SIL of what she would prefer.  Some would not be ok with having the shower after the baby comes for several different reasons.  You won't know until you ask her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd ask SIL and go to your mom with her preference.  Personally, I would have hated to have had a shower after.  BF was super difficult (nursing sessions often lasted 45 min-1hr and DD wouldn't take a bottle), my pedi said not to have DD around big groups/out in public until she was 8wks, and it would have been hard to get the nursery ready.  You will also be much less able to help, having a newborn yourself.  Good luck!
    Expecting our 3rd little girl this New Year's!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"