Baby Showers

decorating onesies at baby shower?

I saw on someone's blog, but forgot to bookmark it.  She threw a baby shower for a friend, and had everyone decorate onesies with these cute stick on/glue on pictures and paints (I think).

Anyone know who this is & what her blog is? Anyone do something similar? Any other fun ideas for ladies to do at the shower (besides playing games)?

Re: decorating onesies at baby shower?

• I've seen this done, but it was more of a "station" off to one side of the shower.  Paints and what not were laid out for people to use.

Here's my thing about craft projects- not everyone is crafty and creative in that way.  I wouldn't make it a task for everyone to do at the same time.  I can be creative, but when put on the spot like that, it honestly makes me stressed and uncomfortable. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I've seen lots of posts on this, but I'm not up for doing it. I'm crafty, but some people will enevitably come up with a monstrous mess of a onesie that momma would never put baby in.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageEastCoastBride:

I've seen this done, but it was more of a "station" off to one side of the shower.  Paints and what not were laid out for people to use.

Here's my thing about craft projects- not everyone is crafty and creative in that way.  I wouldn't make it a task for everyone to do at the same time.  I can be creative, but when put on the spot like that, it honestly makes me stressed and uncomfortable. 

Yeah I'm not crafty at all. I can't even scrapbook. If I had to do this, the kid would have a onesie with a I'm #1! splattered all over it. 

• Yes, I agree about some people being non-crafty. But this hostess had pre-bought these cute cut-outs of things like a little train, a duckie, etc. and I can't remember, but I think also cut-outs of words (or guests painted words). Then I think she had fabric glue for the cut-outs. (no iron-on's).  This was cute because people could just choose a cut-out they wanted and glue it on there. For example, she had a little train and the words 'choo-choo'. 

I'm wondering where she got these fabric cut-out pictures and words from?

• imageSMP21:

Yes, I agree about some people being non-crafty. But this hostess had pre-bought these cute cut-outs of things like a little train, a duckie, etc. and I can't remember, but I think also cut-outs of words (or guests painted words). Then I think she had fabric glue for the cut-outs. (no iron-on's).  This was cute because people could just choose a cut-out they wanted and glue it on there. For example, she had a little train and the words 'choo-choo'. 

I'm wondering where she got these fabric cut-out pictures and words from?

They do have the iron-on cutesy things you are looking for at craft stores.  I've been to showers that have these types of stations, and the ones with iron-on items went over WAY better than the paint only ones. 

I also highly recommend pre-washing the onsies before the event.  

• I did it at the shower I hosted this weekend. I just had fabric markers and set out a station if people wanted to do it. Not everyone did, but most people did. They turned out really funny and cute!
  • I've seen it done where it was a station and I've seen it been made into a game where a few people teamed up to decorate one onesie and the mom-to-be or even dad-to-be would vote.  At my cousin's we decorated the onesie under the impression that the mom-to-be was voting.  So a lot of the teams made them specifically with her in mind (i.e. "Shopaholic," "Diva-in-training") and it turned out they had the dad-to-be make the decision! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've seen this done well, and I've seen it done poorly. My girlfriends would love it, my great aunts - not so much. I guess I'd just say to feel out your crowd. You know them better than us. Can you look at your guest list and say, "yeah this would be a hit"? Cause if people generally aren't crafty, they're not going to suddenly be on the day of a shower. And a fully agree with the idea to make it a station or table to the side and maybe not make it a "required" activity.
  • Maybe this site?

https://offbeatmama.com/2009/11/baby-shower-ideas

Even it it wasn't what you were thinking of the second link has some ideas to make it easier for those less crafty.

https://offbeatmama.com/2009/11/baby-shower-onesies

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC#1 starting Feb 2011, BFP #1:5/31/11, CP: 6/6/11; BFP #2: 7/9/11, loss confirmed 8/3 with D&C on 8/12 finding complete molar pregnancy. Forced break until Feb 2012. My blog image
  • We did this at a recent baby shower, but instead of onesies, we decorated newborn diapers. It was really cute. More people participated because it didn't really matter if it looked bad becasue no one but mom would see it.

The idea was to make mom and dad smile when they had to change dirty diapers or diapers in the middle of the night.

I thought it was a great idea with no pressure. It was also a co-ed shower so some of the diapers were REALLY funny, and a few were not all that appropriate, but funny just the same.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • I have been to camps with 4-H kids where we have colored with crayons a picture on transfer paper and then ironed it on to the t-shirts... I liked that idea but you have to make sure the image is reversed for when you iron it on!
  • We did bibs at my sister's shower and it was fun! The women and kids did them, and a couple of the guys, and then my sis and her DH each picked their favorites and those people got a prize.
  • We did this at a shower I helped host. I was actually in charge of this station.  we didn't use fabric pens or paint. I made iron on fabric and printed off some patterns for those didn't feel creative.  I did a range of sizes so she wouldn't have 20 newborn onsies.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it. It's not for everyone though.  They also used the onsies as decorations for the second shower the mom to be had. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket
  • We did this at both of my showers and it was so wonderful & fun!

Everyone had a great time doing it!

I suggest getting mutiple sizes of onesies, prewash them, and get a variety of fabric paints and markers (like, LOTS), and that don't reqire brushes.  

You'll need some cardboard or foam core to put inside each onesie so the paint doesn't bleed thru.

This was the only game I liked.  The others are all bullsh!t.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you have one, or know someone w/ a Cricuit machine that would be ideal to cut out fabric shapes and words.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"