Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Daycare - Harrisburg

Ladies - Please recommend your beloved Harrisburg daycare/ in-home provider.

I hear stories from women in large metropolitan areas saying that their daycares have year+ waiting lists. Is our area that bad? I'm just starting on my search.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Daycare - Harrisburg

• Options

I think many of the daycares in the area do have waiting lists, mine did and it is on the Navy Base.  I registered at 12 weeks preganant and got my son in when he was 6 months old. 

I would definately start touring and see what center is right for you, if that is the way you go.  In-home providers may not have wait lists as much.  Find someone/something you feel comfortable with and one that your child will feel loved/safe/secure and you usually cannot go wrong.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The only ones I have heard about with waiting lists are the Navy Depot (from PP) and Goddard. We toured a handful of daycares in the Camp Hill area and none of them had waiting lists. The daycare we chose, Kids Quarters, does not have a waiting list to my knowledge. I am very happy there. I have also heard of friends with bad experiences with Goddard and I have heard from numerous sources that the expense of Goddard is not justified for a newborn, however, tour around and get a feel yourself. I don't think it is too early to start looking.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had to register our LO (due date 1/17/11) in July when I was 15 weeks in order to get the last March slot at the daycare we chose.

I would definitely try and get on it soon!  We're sending our daughter to UGro @ Tecport (for an infant it's $250/week).  Not sure where you're looking to have her go... Ours is located by the Harrisburg East Mall (which is 5 minutes from my job).

• Options
    DS goes to an awesome in home DCP. She lives in Paxtonia. We pay $150 a week for FT care. PM me if you want her info.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We love the Tecport U-Gro! 
  • Options
    We take our son to Jewish Community Center on Front Street in Harrisburg & LOVE it!  It's a relatively new center with a great program.  We pay $925/month.  As far as I know, there was a wait, but 2 of the babies are moving into the 1 yr old room soon. And no, you don't have to be Jewish (we're not).
  • Options

I called several centers in the area (east shore) and most all had waiting lists.  I got on around weeks, scary to do so early, but you have too.  I have to go back to work when my 6 weeks are over. 

Goddard isn't worth the money, sorry, not for an infant.  Maybe a preschooler, but not a baby...you are going to teach my baby what?  For how much?  No, I don't think so.  Plus the people that run the Linglestown one and the Camphill one are both super rude.   No thanks.

Does anyone have any recommendations for in-home care?  Those seem harder to find, unless you know someone.  We have a preschool picked out, we just need a day care for the first few years.  Any suggestions are great.  Thanks. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"