Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Am I being unreasonable?

We've started DD on solids, following Pedi's instructions - cereals and only recently did we add fruits ( 1/2 spoonful of cereal and 1/2 of fruit). Well, I do occasionally give her a tiny taste of something I'm eating - sauce, mashed potato, etc. Never any sweets (ice cream, pudding, melted chocolate), abd ahe only gets a little bit once. My ILs will feed her spice cake, frosting, pudding, meats and do so several times during the meal. FIL says that it's not fair that I can feed DD things not approved by the Pedi and that they can't. We sat that we're the parents and that our requests/wishes should be followed when it comes to DD. Am I being unreasonable?

Re: Am I being unreasonable?

• Options

"That's not fair"? Um, it's your child. Anything that you deem inappropriate to give LO by someone else is perfectly fine. I don't think that's unreasonable whatsoever.

Meat? REALLY? I would explain that the food that they are feeding your daughter is much different than mashed potatoes that are not seasoned or spiced whatsoever. A bite once in a while is a lot different than several times a meal, and things that they have seasoned or spiced to their own taste.

Oh, then punch them in the face. :)

• Options
    When I see an 'am I unreasonable' post, I automatically assume that yes, you are.  But in this case, I think you are totally in the right and that your ILs should respect your wishes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    definitely think you are not unreasonable. your ILs are crazy out of line with their "its not fair" statement.
  • Options

My only rules are no sugar and no salt.  Other than that I'm pretty easy going about it.  A tiny drop on her tongue of seasoned food isn't going to hurt her.  I add cinnamon and nutmeg to her cereal and sweet potatoes all the time. 

As far as it not being fair, FIL is being ridiculous.  You just have to calmly and firmly tell them that you are the mother, and no matter how much they think their way is fine, it's really not their choice.

I recently had this discussion with my mom about giving Sarah juice other than for constipation.  I told her this is something I'm not going to debate or argue with anyone.  Juice will be a rare treat. She will get water or milk. Period.  It hasn't been brought up again.

• Options
    I agree with pp. When I see a post asking if I'm being unreasonable, it usually turns out the op is in fact being unreasonable. This is definitely not the case with you! I would not be happy if someone else felt entitled to make decisions that affect my child.
  • Options
    You are not being unreasonable at all and you need to stand your ground! If you don't  you will regret it later, trust me! My IL's did the same things with DS and I ended up going off on them one night at dinner because I was so tired of it. Oh, and when I first had DD MIL kept telling me I was being selfish by breastfeeding because it "wasn't fair" that she wouldn't be able to give her a bottle when she saw her!! Soooo I know what you're going through...
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not unreasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"