Secondary IF
Options

Is IUI really that simple?

RE nurse said, "it's just like a clomid cycle, except that instead of telling you when to have sex, we tell you when to come in to get inseminated."

Hmm... sounds easy. Is she lying? I honestly have no clue. What's your experience?

Me: 35, elevated FSH 10.9, DH: 32, low morph & motility After 2 years and 29 cycles, success au natural! Rylee Jane 9/8/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #2 since March 2008 Cycle #WHO KNOWS!! April 2011 150mg Clomid + HCG + progesterone, 3 follies = BFN May 2011 150mg Clomid + none of the fancy stuff, 3 follies = BFP 6/13/11!! Beta #1 @ 4wks,1day = 95.9 Beta #2 @ 4ks,3days = 298.7, progesterone 164.9 After 3 years & 3 months another answered prayer BabyFetus Ticker <a href="http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n548/yaneverknow30/?action=view

Re: Is IUI really that simple?

• Options
    I have done a total of 8 IUI's and they are pretty simple. If you are not using meds or are taking Clomid you usually get 1 or 2 ultrasounds to be sure of your follie count and size...and most important to make sure you time the IUI just right. I do not like just going off OPK's (I had 3 of my IUI's fail because I was using OPK's and they were just not cutting it, I also think it's important to use a trigger shot to make sure you are timing your IUI as best as possible.) If you take injectable meds there are more ultrasounds, but over all it's a very simple process. The IUI itself is much like getting a PAP, mine were always pretty quick and painless. Good luck!
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options

That's what it sounds like to me. This is my first cycle and I just had b/w and an u/s this morning, day 4, and was told to come back next tuesday for the same which would be day 12. I'm guessing it'll be shortly after that they tell me to do the trigger shot at home and then it's the iui.  I was expecting to be in more than this, so it was a nice suprise.

Brenna Married 4.30.05

Mom to Teagan 4.11.07 and Cora 9.30.11

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

D&E @ 22w 9.30.09 CMV infection BFP 10.15.10 C/P 4w4d

• Loading the player...
  • Options

IUIs are great because they are so much less of a to-do than IVF is.  We did an u/s to check follies, got a date for the trigger and came in 2 or 3 days later for the IUI.  DH went about an hour before me to do his thing so they had time to do the analysis and wash, then we did the IUI (in and out of the office in about 15 minutes).  I did not have any pain or anything.  Really simple.  Then comes the hard part... the 2ww.

Good luck with your IUI!

Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's really that simple!  Good luck!
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I was monitored usually every 2 days until my follies were around 11 mm...then I went daily until they were around 18/19mm.  That night I would trigger at 9 and head to the RE 34 hours later.  DH woul give his sample and we grab breakfast and head back up to the office for the IUI, which like tripmomma said feels much like a pap.  It is so quick and easy.  Whem it was over, I was like, "is that it?"  Lots of luck to you sweetie...I hope this is your cycle!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options

My IUIs were fairly easy.   On the last one (where I got my BFP).   I took Clomid from cd5 - cd9.   On day 13 I went in and had an u/s.   I was told to keep using OPK's and to call once I got a surge.  If I hadn't received a surge by cd17 (I normally got it around 16 or 17), then to come in for a check and if they needed to they would do a trigger then.  I had a surge at cd16, so I went in that morning.   DH went in and gave his sample - it takes an hour to wash, so we went and got breakfast and came back and they used this tiny catheter to insert it into me.  I had to lay there for about 15 minutes and then I was done.    We were told to have sex that night and the next day as well to increase our chances as well.  After that I had to have my progesterone levels checked several times (I had progesterone level issues).    Minus all the extra pokes for blood work, it was pretty easy.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto the other mommies...it is so easy!  Just want to wish you the best of luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
    TTC #2 since Nov '07
    Tried 4 cycles of Clomid, TI, Gonal-f, and IUI's - all BFFN's
    Both tubes removed Nov '09
    Low AMH = 0.3
    IVF #1 for Feb '10 - cancelled due to poor response - Gonal-f and Repronex
    IVF #1.2 for June '10 - Gonal-f, Menopur, and micro Lupron
    ER - 6/19 (2 retrieved), ET - 6/22 (1 transferred with ICSI), Beta 7/5 = BFFN
    IVF #2 for Nov '10 was cancelled due to poor response - Follistim, Repronex, and micro Lupron
    IVF #2.2 for Feb '11 - Gonal-f, Repronex, and Ganirelix
    ER - 2/24 (8 retrieved), ET - 3/1 (2 transferred with ICSI), froze 3, Beta 3/11 = BFFN
    FET - 4/19 (3 transferred), Beta 4/28 = BFP, EDD 1/4/12
  • Options

I don't want to scare you, but I do want to mention that it's not easy for everyone.  Some women, like myself, experience a great deal of pain during the iui.  It's rare, as you can see from my being one of eight or nine people to comment who were all positive.

If you have any male factor issues, the trigger shot can be helpful for timing the window of abstinence.

After three years TTC, four IUI's plus 2 cancelled, MFI (morph, motility, count), maternal age (40 as of 5/12) & former endo, we're moving to IVF spring 2012 (good/avg AMH and FSH). We did beat the odds once, however. DD born after 2 years TTC with clomid and no monitoring at my age 35. Doctors are SHOCKED we were able to conceive. Here's hoping for another miracle.
  • Options
    I did three IUI cycles and yes, it's that easy.  The first two didn't work for me but, the third worked more than well enough!  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"