TTC after 35

cheap meds

I took a giant leap of faith this week and bought follistim from a couple in Chicago (who I don't know) who are moving on to adoption.

The short story: I got a call from my pharmacy who said the insurance was done and that for my second round of IVF meds I would have to pay about 4k. Follistim was $1450 for a 900 IU vial but they said they sell it to me for $795 (and I would need 3). I was googling to see if I could buy it cheaper in Canada ( my DH's family lives in that area) and found ads on a post where people are selling meds for cycles they are stopping etc. I contacted several people via email and one wrote back asap. I was getting ready to send a payment via paypal. But then I noticed the paypal account was something like "thebestvegasdeals"... so I paused and thought - Is saving 2k really worth injecting myself with second-hand meds? While I'm contemplating this I get another email from the same person who wonders if I became suspicious, or curious and tells me not to worry. I emailed her back and asked her to send me a copy of the prescription, or a photo (I would be able to send both) and she gets crazy and tells me she's not selling me the meds because she's a veteran and I guess that makes her automatically a stellar person. (BTW I have HUGE respect for all veterans).  Long story short, I was resolved to NOT buy meds from a stranger but then I got a really nice email from this couple. Called them, chatted, they sent me pics and everything I wanted. So the meds arrive Tuesday. I paid $200 for each 900 IU vial - I bought 5 of them.

My sister is an RN and I thought she was going to tell me I'm a fool but she actually thought it was a good deal. The meds are sealed and in the boxes - according to the photos.

So here's hoping the meds arrive! OK, so who thinks I'm crazy?

Re: cheap meds

• I don't think your crazy.  I think the fact that all this stuff costs so much is crazy.  I hope it works for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not crazy at all.  I would do this if I could since but everything is OOP including RE.  there are some grants out there and I am currently researching this option.
  • Loading the player...
  • girl you aren't crazy.  we're all just doin' whatever it takes.
    About me: A pixie in the city, 41, TTC #1 since May 2010, married 18 years. Diagnosed with, surgically removed, endometrioma Aug.2010 Sept 2010 IUI #1=BFN, Oct=cyst/bfn, Nov 2010 IUI #2 = bfn. Had to postpone IUI #3 b/c of a cyst natural=BFN. Skipped IUI #3, decided to go for IVF. Found/removed uterine polyps Jan 2011. IVF cancelled, no follicles. IVF #2: 3 great embies put in on Easter Sunday = BFN. Hoping for another chance at IVF in July. TTC is NOT for wimps. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/2fab90/ttc.png
  • They arrived - All is well. In boxes and they sent me an extra 600 iu vial!! Awesome! : ) Thanks for the support ladies : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"