Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

pedialyte?

anyone have to give pedialyte to a 5 month old-?  My ped said we could but didnt tell me how.  I dont know if i give w water or mix with formula?  how much?  any help will be appreciated

Re: pedialyte?

• Options

I'm guessing for diarhea?

My 2 month old had diarhea they thought was rotavirus, I was told to give her full pedialyte for 2 feedings, then to mix with formula 1/4 pedialyte to 3/4 formula, increasing each feeding till back to full formula.  If she won't take the full pedialyte mixing it from the start is ok.  Don't mix with water.  And only give pedialyte for 24 hours.

HTH

ETA: that was supposed to say 3/4 pedialyte to 1/4 formula

DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • Options
    oh good thank you!  yes he has horrible diarrhea- we believe from the rotovirus vaccine!!  he is still eating right now but im just wary..  Why not mix it with water???
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagesunshine1316:
    oh good thank you!  yes he has horrible diarrhea- we believe from the rotovirus vaccine!!  he is still eating right now but im just wary..  Why not mix it with water???

The reason you're giving pedialyte as opposed to water is you want to replace the electrolytes and whatnot that baby is losing with diarhea.  You don't want to water down the pedialyte.

DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • Options
    We gave DS pedialyte when he was 2 months old but our pedi never told us to mix it with anything. I would just give him his normal bottles then give him 2 oz of pedialyte about an hour after a bottle a couple of times a day. Our pedi didn't have a problem with that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"