Special Needs

Not sure where else to post this question...

First off, no flames, please. I know that in comparison my question is going to seem silly on this board, but I'm hoping to get some perspective.

DS is 10 months and has ZERO interest in food. He is not self feeding at all. He will pick something up with the pincher grasp, but does not put anything in his mouth, just tosses it aside. If I feed him anything other than purees, he gags, chokes, and vomits every single time. We have been very laid back about it for the most part, and have done what his dr. and everyone we know have suggested-keep trying and offering. The problem is, he also gags on a lot of purees, as well. If it has any sort of texture, he wont eat it. I mix rice cereal in with his stage 2 fruits and even the tiniest bit of rice cereal mixed in will make him gag. He will eat most stage 2 fruits and sweet potatoes with no problems, but any other type of baby food will make him gag. He is EBF and does not take bottles (also has no interest in sippy cups right now, but that I'm not so worried about)

I mentioned all this to his ped. at his 9 month checkup, but he said we wouldn't worry about it until his 12 month checkup. I honestly don't see this improving before then, so now I'm wondering what the heck we are going to do to get DS to eat more. At this age my DD (and every other baby I've ever known) was devouring table foods. I've tried soft veggies, fruit, cheese, bread, puffs, etc. and he gags on it all. He has slowly improved on puffs and has managed to actually swallow a few, but he won't feed himself any.

Has anyone had any experience with this with their LO? I feel that I'm usually pretty laid back and try not to get caught up in worrying about my kids being on track developmentally, but I am concerned about this. I don't know if this is just him being picky, or slower to get it, or if it's something else to be concerned about. He seems to be hitting his other milestones on time, although he is not crawling, but he is cruising.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. would be really appreciated. I go back and forth each day on "he's just being picky" and wondering if there is something more to it.

Re: Not sure where else to post this question...

• I forgot to add that he had reflux his first few months of life. So did my DD, however, and she didn't have any of these issues.
  • I would suggest getting a referral to a Speech Therapist who deals with Feeding issues. There are some real issues out there that may need to be ruled out/figured out. If you contact your local Early Intervention office, they should be able to set you up with a free/low cost evaluation. If you go through EI, you do not need a referral from your pediatrician.

I hope that helps. My daughter was evaluated after some intense vomiting issues, but didn't need ongoing help.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree that it wouldn't hurt to get an EI evaluation.  There may be sensory issues involved.  My daughter is 14 months, and she is seeing an OT (occupational therapist) for feeding issues.  She will eat table foods, but she refuses to feed herself.  She refuses all sippy and straw cups, and she refuses to hold her bottle.
  • ditto Breezy! Dean's SLP was really helpful in helping us help him to overcome the constant gagging and such. Now he's all caught up with eating! Good luck. 
  • No flames here...many of us have kiddos with feeding problems and it is really hard!

I agree with all the other PP's to get a SLP involved. If you get a good one, they can do wonders. Sounds like there is more going on than just a picky eater. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree too-- your LO sounds alot like my DS. I would definitely call the Early Intervention people b/c it cant hurt and they will do an easy evaluation and hopefully be able to help (even if he doesnt qualify for services at least it will put your mind at ease that a professional looked at him and didnt think he was delayed or having difficulties in that area). GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thank you everyone for your help, my mind feels a little more at ease now. I agree that it can't hurt to see an EI for an evaluation, I feel like it's worth a shot since the gagging seems to be pretty extreme. Thank you again!
  • I have a friend who has a son who was just like this and in their case the problem was his adenoids.  They were swollen and huge and he couldn't swallow solid food right.  It also took them a while to get a diagnosis (I think a occupational therapist or maybe speech therapist finally suggested getting it checked...her ped had not previously done that).

At 16 months he had the surgery to remove them and began devouring food.  Just something to rule out!  Good luck!

• The DD of a friend of mine had very similar issues to your LO.  They ended up going to EI and it was determined that their DD needed OT for feeding issues.  She had low tone in her jaw which made it difficult for her to chew and wanted nothing to do with food.  They had all sorts of activities and some things to help strengthen her jaw.  She's much better now!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"