Stay at Home Moms
Options

Your neigborhood poll?

Do you love your neighborhood?  Why or why not?  What makes it great or not?  What kind of hood is it (urban, suburban, rural, ect)?

Re: Your neigborhood poll?

• Options

I like it OK, but I don't love it.

At last count, about half the "residents" are only here on weekends (we are an exurb of a major metro city). There are few sidewalks, and no street lighting. Most of the kids here are teenagers, so there aren't a lot of little kids for DD to play with. The neighborhood topography is very hilly, so stroller walks require a certain amount of planning. That being said, especially this time of year, the scenery is absolutely gorgeous. And when DD gets a little older, there's a pool and a playground for her.

We are semi-rural. The development used to be a wooded campground.

• Options
    our new house is in the neighborhood i grew up in. it's a suburb of okc, but not one of the newer ones. my house was built in the 1960s. i like it. i do wish we could live in a neighborhood that was more walkable, and had neighbors with kids. it seems to be mostly empty nest baby boomers.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I love our neighborhood.  We gave up a lot on the house to get into this neighborhood.  Its a new development with a playground and a pool.  There's a ton of kids and we're in a really good school district.  We have an HOA which keeps everything looking nice. 

We're a suburban/rural type.  Our neighborhood is surrounded by farms and cows but there's a Target and shopping mall just 15 minutes away.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am absolutely in head over heels love with our neighborhood. We looked for 6 years to find a house here, and it was worth the wait. Urban, but some of the best public schools in the state, 5 minute walk to anything I need (grocery stores, shopping, Dr, preschool, etc etc). TONS of green space and great playgrounds, extremely family friendly environment and mentality, very active/social moms group, and just a 15 minute subway trip to downtown Boston and everything that offers. My DH wants to eventually move because he wants more "house" and a bigger yard, but I am an urban girl so I love where we are.
  • Options

I am also in the like, don't love camp.  I've never lived in a suburb before, and it's just not for me.  I need to be in a big city, and we'll be moving back once DH's stint here is over.

That said, my little suburban neighborhood is pretty nice.  I like that we can walk to the bakery, the bank, and the drug store.  I like that there are three playgrounds in easy walking distance, as well as the elementary school, and therefore there are tons of kids in the neighborhood.  It's green and pretty, near a major university yet also near tons of farms, where we get most of our food in the summer.

• Options

imageDevonPow:
    I am absolutely in head over heels love with our neighborhood. We looked for 6 years to find a house here, and it was worth the wait. Urban, but some of the best public schools in the state, 5 minute walk to anything I need (grocery stores, shopping, Dr, preschool, etc etc). TONS of green space and great playgrounds, extremely family friendly environment and mentality, very active/social moms group, and just a 15 minute subway trip to downtown Boston and everything that offers. My DH wants to eventually move because he wants more "house" and a bigger yard, but I am an urban girl so I love where we are.

We live in Atlanta, but it sounds very similar to where we are.  Tons of parks.  You can walk downtown in about 45 minutes on a path with fountains and art along the way, and take the train home, which the kids love.  Their are a boat load of kids DS's age.  There are 7 boys in his playgroup within 2 months of his age.  Great schools, involved parents, lots of active people.  The target and grocery are a good 30 minute walk, but a 3 minute drive.  My kids ask if we are there yet after being in the car for 5 minutes :-)  Oh, and we have a ton of festivals at the park at the end of the street! 

• Options

I wouldn't say i 'love' it- it works for us for now. It is safe, it is clean, it is quiet and close to everything we need. The neighbors are all nice enough so I have no real complaints.

I live outside Philadelphia in a quiet but trendy suburb with lots to do around us.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I love, love, love it!  It was my "dream" neighborhood in Denver & I never thought we'd afford a 5bedroom house here...but we lucked out this summer & got a screaming deal.  I live "urban"--my neighborhood is about 1-2miles from Downtown, 1 mile from the Capitol building--It's a very mixed neighborhood in that there are condos/apartments from about $150K for a 1bed condo all the way to mansions that are $3M+--all mixed together.  Most residents are probabaly renters in general.  It's named/centered around a large beautiful park & there are lots of shops/retail/etc within my hood.  My block has tons of families & is almost all 100yr old 2 story brick houses--up one block is more condos/apt & down one block is mansions.  My girls have lots of friends right here & their school is a walk down a gorgeous boulevard.  I can walk to Safeway, Kings Sooper (Kroger) & Whole Foods all within 10 minutes.  Lots of specialty shops, nice restaurants, etc all all w/ in minutes.  There are tons of big shade trees & nice sidewalks everywhere....it's pretty "alive" in that there are always people walking by w/ their dogs or running to/from the park.  The lots are pretty small--but we do have a backyard big enough for a patio, small garden & grass (playscape would take up most of the grass area).  Overall it is just perfect for our family.  I never plan on leaving here unless we move out of state.   
  • Options

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. We are in the same town we both grew up in and I always liked this neighborhood and the style of houses. The houses are 50+ yrs old but I am into the history of houses and what was built when and why it was built.
    While our house is modern on the inside with a brand new bathroom, new appliances, etc. The layout is the same as it would have been in the mid-fifties and you know what? I love it.

I also love our property and our street and neighbors.

If you are interested (like I am) in home styles, etc from the 40s-70s check out this website, I go on it all the time, its fun: https://retrorenovation.com/

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I love it!  We live in the city so we are able to walk to so many places- library, shops, restaurants, playgrounds, etc.  We also live across the street from a large park so it's like having our own private forest and park right in the heart of the city.  Our neighborhood is very family friendly so there are a lot of kids for Eva to play with too.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I really like our street.  Quiet, dead end, safe, nice neighbors, large lots, beautiful trees and such, and a hop, skip and a jump from the highway.  There aren't many young families on our street though and I would like to live somewhere where my DD has some kids her age to play and run around with.  The school system also stinks so we'll probably be moving before she gets into school. 
  • Options
    I LOVE the way my neighborhood looks, it's urban but on the outskirts of downtown Portland, so we have yards and tree lined streets. It's so beautiful and every house is different. So aesthetically pleasing, it's beautiful. My problem with it is that it seems to be a bit hard to meet people. There a few families on the block that we've met but that's about it. I don't know why but friends of mine who living in the burbs with more subdivision style newer neighborhoods have young kids everywhere and they really know all the people on the block. I wish we had a bit more of that. Maybe once DS is in school I'll meet neighbors that I didn't realize were only blocks away. I don't think I could give up being close to downtown and the old neighborhood look. 
  • Options

I love our neighborhood!  It used to be an old tree farm, so there are TONS of huge, mature trees and it has lots of character.  The school district is the main reason why I bought this house, but the neighborhood is a close second.  We're close enough to the main roads, but not right on them and 90% of the stores that I shop at are within a 5 minute drive.  There is a playground that we can walk to in 10 minutes and I could walk to the grocery store and Starbucks if I wanted to.  We live in the Philly suburbs.

• Options

We love our neighborhood.  First we live in a court with people that have lived here 20+ years.  They love when I take the LO for a walk, they want to talk to her and play with her.  But they are not too nosy.

On top of that there are two nice parks within walking distance.  There are also two grocery stores within walking distance.  We have a greenbelt that is pretty close and once they complete it it will only be two blocks from our house.  The school LO will go to is also within walking distance.  I love everything being to close.  We live in a city.  Urban makes it sound hip and modern which we definitely are not because we are surrounded by lots of farms and dairies.  However we are definitely not a suburban to anything.  It is a nice mix though.

It feels like home for now, but I know once DH has got if professional certification we will have to move. :o(

Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Options

I love our neighborhood.  We just recently moved from the city to an immediate suburb and we still have all the things we loved about the city with none of the stuff we hated

There are tons of families (3 other 2 y/o boys on our block alone) and the neighbors are SO nice.  We have a great school district and can walk to a playground, a downtown area with shops and restaurants, library, middle and high school. All the other places we would need to go are minutes away by car.  We are also close to major highways and public transit

The houses are mostly old and all different (which we love).  Ours is a 100 y/o Victorian and while it needs some cosmetic work (which my H is so excited about doing) it is structurally sound and big enough that even if we have another baby or 2 we will not need to move

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options

LOVE IT!

We are in the middle of the city, HOWEVER - we live in an apartment complex that is tucked away, back behind a busy road full of businesses.  Like, you turn off the busy road, go down a looong driveway, and there is our apartment complex all by itself.  It's surrounded by trees/forest/open land, as well as two man-made lakes and lots of places to walk.  It's beautiful!  

The only downside is the school district :-(  I want to stay here, but I have to figure out something else when it comes to school.   Maybe we can open enroll in the next district over (literally, if we lived on the opposite side of the busy road, we'd be in another district) or maybe get them into a charter school...I think private will be too expensive for us.  Everyone does public pre-school here and gets enrolled in the spring, so I have about a year to decide on something (we're starting when the oldest is 5).

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options
    We love where we live. It is the small town where my mom grew up. There are many kids in the neighborhood and many babies due soon. From our house it is about a mile to Main St.(where everything is)! The school the girls will go to is only a mile away and is amazing!
  • Options

We love our neighborhood!  Each house is unique and on a wooded lot. It is an older neighborhood that used to be the "happening" place before this town slowly died (we love the neighborhood but not the town.)  There are 3 duck ponds in our neighborhood.  We love the swings and tennis court.  The only thing I wish there were side walks and more kids in the neighborhood. Most people here have grown kids.  We are in a suburban neighborhood in a small/medium sized town. 

• Options
    I love our neighborhood (suburban).  It's a good mix of older residents and young families.  I love that it's an older neighborhood with mature trees and a mix of styles of homes.  The neighborhood is friendly, the street is quiet.  One end dead ends into the junior high, the other end leads to the elementary school.  DH and I are willing to sacrifice moving to a bigger house to stay in this neighborhood.
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Options

Currently, we don't really like our neighborhood.  It was great when we bought our house when we were 23 and 24, but now that we are in our 30s and have a preschooler and one on the way, we can't wait to get out.  There aren't any kids in the neighborhood, our next-door-neighbors are loud and tacky, and we have this crazy lady across the street who calls 911 at least every other week (to the point that if you watch the fire and medics when they arrive, they totally take their time and are dreading going in). Plus our house is laid out poorly for a family.  I don't leave our bedroom before DS wakes in the morning because the noise from the family room and kitchen travel down the hall to the bedrooms and will wake him.

In two weeks, however, we are  moving to a new house in a great, family-oriented neighborhood where we know a lot of other parents.  We'll be less than 5 minutes from everything, will be surrounded by children and friendly neighbors who are already calling us to welcome us to the neighborhood.  If we were to send DS to the public elementary school in the district, it would be a 2 block walk from our house.  We're right across the street from a lake where DH and DS can go fishing, and I was amazed the other day when we were driving by and saw two deer in the lot next door, still only 5 minutes from downtown! It's an older neighborhood, but still has a combination of ranch houses, traditional and contemporary homes.  Between all of that and the increase of space in the new house, we are so, so thrilled.

• Options
    Well, we're rural so our nearest neighbor is over a city block away.  I really like our location though, nobody is right next door, we have a paved bike/running trail across the road from us, and the scenery is great in the fall.  We are also the youngest family around here, most of our neighbors are retired or couples whose children are grown and out of the house.
    DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"