Natural Birth

Birth pool upstairs?

I'm planning a home water birth and always thought the pool would go upstairs in the guest bedroom, next to the bed, in case I want to switch it up a bit. I'm not too wild about the idea of walking up and down the stairs since there are no bedrooms on the first floor.

DH is concerned about the weight of the filled birth tub upstairs and while I understand his concern, I'm not sure if it's 100% legit. Our house is pretty new so there shouldn't be any wood rot issues.

Should I just resign myself to the fact that everything will be done downstairs? Did any of you have the tub upstairs without any problems?

Re: Birth pool upstairs?

• you are making me wonder if my plans to labor upstairs are safe.  Should we ask a home inspector or construction worker? I never thought of this being an issue.
  • imageAud&Shad777:
    you are making me wonder if my plans to labor upstairs are safe.  Should we ask a home inspector or construction worker? I never thought of this being an issue.

My dad used to work in demolition and construction, now that I think about it. I'll try and give him a call tonight and see what his thoughts are.

• Loading the player...
  • Hmmm, I assumed we'd put our birth pool upstairs in our master b/r and never considered the weight issue.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• People have bathtubs on the second floors of their houses. Same goes for 2nd floor apartments. Your house is structurally sound enough to support the weight of a tub. If it weren't, every tub in the US would be on the first floor or in a basement.

BUT...

You just need to make sure that your tub has plastic under it/around it and extra towels to soak up water from you climbing in and out of it. Check very carefully for leaks in the plastic and make sure any water spills get mopped up quickly.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs_Liberto:

People have bathtubs on the second floors of their houses. Same goes for 2nd floor apartments. Your house is structurally sound enough to support the weight of a tub. If it weren't, every tub in the US would be on the first floor or in a basement.

This was my thought too, but then I realized the floors beneath tubs are probably reinforced with more braces in anticipation of the extra weight, whereas my guest bedroom would not have the additional support.

I saw somewhere online that somebody said a filled tub weighs approx. 1250 lbs (though we're using a small tub, so probably less) which would be like having a dinner party with 7-8 people in one space around a table, and that doesn't seem absurd. But still, that weight is pretty distributed and not in one confined space for who knows how much time.

Ugh, why can't everything just be simple...

• DH worried about this for our first birth, too (we didn't have a tub the second time).  But we put the tub in our bedroom and didn't have any problems. 
    Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Our first floor was actually on the second floor (garage and entry hallway on ground level).  We had the aquadoula in our living room and the only sign that it was there after the birth was a temporary groove in the carpet.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• DH who is a civil engineer said "Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be?" when I asked him this question. I told him the weight the tub might be and he said "Absolutely it will work."  Hope that helps!

• My DH is a general contractor and agreed that it wouldn't cause an issue. :)
    imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! Pretty sure I have DH convinced Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"