Special Needs

Introducing Myself NJ Mom to 3.5 son with ASD Need Support

Hi all - I have been lurking on this board since March - March 9th exactly, my 37th birthday and the day my son brady was officially diagnosed with ASD.

For some reason (well may have to do with the fact that I am 34 weeks pregnant) - I have cried more about my son's ASD diagnosis in the last 3 weeks than I did up until now.

I think its sinking in.  But I have questions about his dx - the treatment, etc.

We live in NJ - he is in a full time pre-school program that is entirely ABA based.  He is doing well. I think.  Unfortunately he is not really a kid that is driven by "rewards" so I am always wondering if there is somethign else I can try.  

A litte about brady

he was born on May 9 2007, He is verbal - but definitely limited in his speech.  he does not "spontaneously" communicate in any meaningful manner.  He also talks very sing-songy if that makes sense.  He seems to garble his words a lot and is not clear in his speech.   Altho he will speak in short sentences, e.g. "I WANT the cookie" etc etc. 

He is a really really happy kid.  He shows tons of affection to us - and our dog :) He likes puzzles and cars, especially motorcycles and school buses.  His eye contact is pretty decent.

He has some sensory issues - definitely loud noises (he'll cover his ears).  he also likes to smoosh his face into pillows (or my chest) and he gives big forceful kisses. He is not a realy stimmy kid - or so I think.

He doesnt' really seem to have any obsessions -- and altho he will repeat certain phrases and sing the same song alot I would say he has repetitive behaviours.  Altho maybe I am missing that.

Actually - I am starting to wonder if I am missing alot.  I have so many questions.  

I think I am ready to embark on the "empowered mom" phase of this journey.  I need to get re-focus my energy and emotion.  I have a tendency (especially lately) to get overwhelmed and emotional about what brady's life will be like in the future - I want him to have a normal fulfilling life.  I dont think I can accept it any differently - at least not now.    

Anyway, seems that so many people on this board have great information and are supportive.   I really need that  now - so this email is my way of taking a step in this journey. 

Thanks all for reading :)

Carolyn

Re: Introducing Myself NJ Mom to 3.5 son with ASD Need Support

• Thanks auntie.  I am especially glad to "meet" you.  Your posts are so informative (and well written to boot), so thank you for your resource and support. 
  • I don't really have any advice as I am new at this as well.... My ds just turned 3 and we have him in a special needs preschool.. speech delay, behavioral issues and possible ASD but we have not gotten an "official" diagnosis  on the ASD yet. I am also pregnant.. 36 weeks... its been hard esp since we have been dealing with try to get him help my whole pregnancy. He speech is that of a 15 month old and he has some hitting and throwing issues.

Hang in there.. I know its tough. ((((( hugs)))))

DD 11/5/10 born by c section DS 9/8/07 born by c section due to Pre-e/Hellp Syndrome m/c at 5 1/2 weeks 8/4/06 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome!  Your little guy has such amazing eyes.  He is absolutely adorable. 

You will find support here and hopefully information you search for.  DH and I moved out of NJ 2 years ago but I grew up in Montville (exit 47 on 287) and my parents still live there.  DS and I are going to visit in a week and a half.

NJ can be a great place with excellent access to medical care, however, I felt that I really had to push for it.  I had to demand access to Sloan Kettering, and I had to fight for UMDNJ. (This was all for myself). 

Montville schools have very little special needs help for children, mostly they send you out.  One of my friends had learning disabilities (dyslexia) and since she couldn't score on the HSPT's high enough they paid for her to go to the Craig School in Mountain Lakes.

GL with your little guy and congratulations on the new baby you're expecting.

• Before I say "welcome", I must tell you how gorgeous your son is. too cute!

Welcome. :)  Your description of your son sounds a lot like my 3-year-old daughter... PDD-NOS dx shortly before her 2nd birthday, making lots of progress with lots of interventions, currently in a sped preschool with a lot of ABA-based programming, etc. She's also verbal, but like I tell people, "she can talk, but she can't always communicate." I bet you understand that. Smile 

I also had a delayed reaction to Sylvie's dx... I went into combat mode the moment we left the doctor's office last summer and didn't give myself a chance to let it sink in or grieve or anything... only when I had a moment to stop and sit (this past September when both my girls went off to preschool) did I really process what a big life change our family had undergone, and I was a hot mess. I actually began therapy because, like you, I want to be the empowered mom I know I was meant to be, but I realized I'd need some help getting there.  It's a long process, but I'm already starting to see my attitude shifting and my perspective improving.

You'll undoubtedly find a lot of kindred spirits on this board... if nothing else, it's so comforting to know you're not alone in all your emotional ups and downs. Smile

A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garrett
    image7_0002 A ~ 2.7.06 S ~ 9.2.07
  • Hi! I see so many similarities... my son's b-day is May 8th, but he's in 2005, so we've been down this path for almost 3 years now. At 3, he had similar problems with communication, which has improved tremendously now that he's 5. Don't worry, your boy will get there.

Congrats on the excellent preschool program, I'm sure that will make a big progress for him. We did ABA for about a year and a half and finally graduated when he was nearly 5. He's in Kindie now and one of the best behaved students, no doubt about that.

Anyway, welcome to the board. Threre are a lot of shoulders to lean on and a lot of heads to pick when you need info.

Your son is adorable, btw! 

• Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I cant say that enough.  I look forward to learning from all of you and leaning as well.

Glendi - funny you mention therapy - I just today decided to check it out for myself :)

You kids are all gorgeous too!!!   

• Welcome to the board! What you are going through is completely normal. We live about an hour from another, so we may have to schedule a 'playdate' sometime. It is so much nicer to do this with other SN moms. My son was diagnosed at St. Peters by Barbie Zimmerman. Please let me know if you have any questions! He also goes to a full day program where he gets ABA, OT, PT, and speech.
    imageimage
    You will forever be my best friend. I can almost feel our hugs. I will ensure everyone will know (now and in the future) what a genuine, kind, loving person you were...I already miss your laughter and our daily conversations. I love you, Samantha. May 20, 1983- February 20, 2012
  • Hey there -- so glad there is another NJ mom on the SN board!

I cannot tell how much I have been looking to connect with other SN moms in the area who can understand a child with ASD (and the parent who is going through it!)

Brady was diagnosed at Morristown Memorial by Dr. Lankowsky.  Actually taking him for another eval on Jan 4.  I think the first time I was so stunned I had no questions - now I have lots and lots.

Thank you!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"