Secondary IF

Shot down for Femara and unmedicated IUI

I called and asked RE's office about the possibility of trying Femara instead of Clomid w/ Dexamethasone since I didn't respond to the 100mg of Clomid, but the nurse shot me down.  She said I'd have a better chance of O'ing on the higher dose of Clomid in addition to the Dexamethasone than with Femara.  She said if I don't O on Clomid, chances are I won't on Femara either.  

I then suggested that we do an unmedicated cycle since prior to starting this cycle with Clomid, I have always O'ed just fine regularly on my own. I told the nurse that I felt like my cycle was all out of whack and I just didn't feel like myself.  She said that since I didn't O with Clomid this cycle, they wouldn't recommend me trying an unmedicated cycle.  WTF?  How can I go into this with a regular cycle and no known issues myself and now be told this?  I don't get it.  I hopped on this roller coaster with the impression that or worry was getting one little swimmer to my egg.  I just thought it was an added bonus to increase our chances my giving me meds to help me produce more than my one typical target.  

I'm just very frustrated right now and need to get it off of my chest!  It's hard for me to be hopeful with Clomid after it completely wiped out my O altogether!  Ugh... 

Re: Shot down for Femara and unmedicated IUI

• I just don't think that's true.  Femara works for some people when Clomid doesn't.  I think that's pretty common knowledge.  Alot of times Femara is used when people max out on their number of Clomid cycles.  She seems dumb. 

I don't know your history, so I'm not sure why you're on Clomid to begin with.  If you were O'ing before and had no issues, why are you seeing an RE?  Not questioning you, just trying to get the backstory so I can understand your situation.  Does your DH have issues?

What you're saying makes sense though and I don't get why she told you that.  Can you talk to someone else or your RE directly?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsmikey:

I just don't think that's true.  Femara works for some people when Clomid doesn't.  I think that's pretty common knowledge.  Alot of times Femara is used when people max out on their number of Clomid cycles.  She seems dumb. 

I don't know your history, so I'm not sure why you're on Clomid to begin with.  If you were O'ing before and had no issues, why are you seeing an RE?  Not questioning you, just trying to get the backstory so I can understand your situation.  Does your DH have issues?

What you're saying makes sense though and I don't get why she told you that.  Can you talk to someone else or your RE directly?

We had problems ttc #1 due to MFI low count/poor quality, but were successful on our own after DH had 3 rounds of Clomid.  We've since been ttc #2 for 22 months with no such luck as the first time around.  I have always had regular cycles and had just O'ed on my own when I had my first vaginal sono at our RE consultation appt.  I was told I was put on the 100mg of Clomid this cycle to give DH's sperm more targets for the IUI.  After two follie checks (one at CD12-1 follie @ 11 and 1 follie @12 the other at CD15 w/ same measurements as CD12 sono), I was told that I didn't respond to the Clomid and that my follies hadn't grown at all since my CD12 sono.  That's when the same nurse I spoke with over the phone today told me that we had 2 options: we could up the dose of Clomid and add in a steroid called Dexamethasone OR we could move right on to injectables.  I was completely caught off-guard by this since I'd never had a problem O'ing on my own prior to being put on meds and we most definitely weren't prepared to move right to injectables when we know that I O on my own.  We told her we'd have to go with the option of upping the Clomid and adding the steroid, but after much research and advice from other ladies on here I was alerted to giving the Femara a try or even an unmedicated cycle.  

I hate even being put in this position of having to argue with them about my protocol, but when you're 100% OOP and only have a certain amount of resources to work with EVERY little procedure and/or cycle could make or break us, ya know?  I'd love to just throw in the towel at this place and find a RE who will give me Femara, but I know several other couples who have had great experiences with this RE.  The consultation appt. alone was nearly $500 and I don't want to have to pay that again somewhere else to get a 2nd opinion.   

I know what I need to do and that's put my foot down on wanting them to let me try Femara, but I might just say to heck with it for this cycle and let them try their protocol of upping the Clomid w/ the steroid (I've already started taking the steroid anyway).  If I don't respond to that, I will demand that I talk to the RE about Femara and explain how I brought up Femara in the last cycle as my hopes for Clomid have diminished.  

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry they aren't being more cooperative and open with you about your treatments.  Sounds like your plan is a good one though for this cycle.  Did you have any negative side effects from the Clomid (other than not o'ing obviously)?  If not I'd go through this cycle on their plan and if it doesn't work then I'd demand a little say in my treatment.  That sucks though and I wish you the best of luck!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Thanks, mrsmikey!  I really hope they're right and that I'm worrying for no reason.  Best of luck to you!!!
  • I am of no help, but I wanted to say good luck and I hope they can turn this cycle around for you.  I understand why you would be frustrated b/c I'm going to be starting a clomid/IUI cycle for the same reason and I would not be happy if the clomid made our situation worse!
    Brenna Married 4.30.05

Mom to Teagan 4.11.07 and Cora 9.30.11

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

D&E @ 22w 9.30.09 CMV infection BFP 10.15.10 C/P 4w4d

• I haven't been in your situation, but wanted to wish you the best of luck.  My only advice is TRUST YOUR GUT! I would call your RE's office and ask to speak to your RE directly or make an appointment to discuss why Femera is a no go, as well as the reasoning behind not doing an unmedicated cycle.  If those options are still out of the question, you, DH and RE can figure out what the game plan that works best for you.  Lots of luck!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • imageAmandaMacD:
    I haven't been in your situation, but wanted to wish you the best of luck.  My only advice is TRUST YOUR GUT! I would call your RE's office and ask to speak to your RE directly or make an appointment to discuss why Femera is a no go, as well as the reasoning behind not doing an unmedicated cycle.  If those options are still out of the question, you, DH and RE can figure out what the game plan that works best for you.  Lots of luck!

I agree.    I would set up an appointment and walk through everything and discuss your options and why some things are not options, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with what Ms.Mikey and other posters have said: "trust your gut".  Do yo live in an area where you can get a 2nd opinion.  Something sounds off!
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • How do you know you've been ovulating on your own?  Have you had ultrasounds each month to show this?  Or are you going by OPK's or mid cycle discomfort?

I thought I was O'ing because i had pos OPKs every time.  NOPE!!  Ultrasounds confirmed this.  I can get the LH surge, which is what the OPK tests for, but I wouldn't have an egg.  I also would have discomfort and feel swollen, and still not have any eggs.  The most was a 5mm follicle once.

So, unless you've had ultrasounds to determine that you are definitely ovulating, you may not have been.

I'd go with your doctor's recommendation. They are the experts and have all of the tests and bloodwork to make the best call for treatment. 

After three years TTC, four IUI's plus 2 cancelled, MFI (morph, motility, count), maternal age (40 as of 5/12) & former endo, we're moving to IVF spring 2012 (good/avg AMH and FSH). We did beat the odds once, however. DD born after 2 years TTC with clomid and no monitoring at my age 35. Doctors are SHOCKED we were able to conceive. Here's hoping for another miracle.
  • I never responded to Clomid but I did respond to Femara. Ask to speak to the RE as the nurse is clearly not qualified enough to prescribe or deny prescriptions...
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"