Blended Families
Options

For those with major issues

I know you guys are always asking about books and I have one to recommend for those of you who are dealing with a situation that involved neglect/abuse or some other traumatic event.  Honestly, I think all parents should read this book because it touches on some really great stuff, but those of you who have special situations can benefit from it greatly.

I just read the entire book in 2 days and am re-reading it and making a ton of notes in it.

It's called:  The Boy Who Was Raised As a Dog.

It's by Bruce D Perry and Maia Szalavitz

It goes into brain development and how it is different in children who experience trauma and all sorts of things that might help some of you SMs understand why your skids who have been through bad stuff act the way they do.  Totally opened my eyes! 

accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran

Re: For those with major issues

• Options
    I'm going to get on Amazon right now!  Thanks!
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options

It's fascinating.  These psychiatrists who put this book together work with kids who have been through the worst trauma you can imagine, watching their parents' murders...the Branch Dividian kids...neglected to the point of starvation.  And what they have found is that not only do children who are raised in chaos learn to create chaos once they have been removed from that situation because it's all they know, but it can also literally effect how certain parts of their brains develop. 

They basically have figured out that the old ideal that kids are resilient and bounce back from trauma quickly is not only wrong but that it's actually the opposite, trauma can effect basic brain functioning and understanding. 

Obviously these are super severe cases but there are some less severe cases and they talk about how the same concepts apply to kids who have experienced less severe traumas. It's an awesome read.

accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've paged through it and I can't wait to read it.  I don't believe my SSs are anything like his example cases, but I do think that our oldest SS has some stuff he's still working through because of BM.
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    imageluckyangel:

It's fascinating.  These psychiatrists who put this book together work with kids who have been through the worst trauma you can imagine, watching their parents' murders...the Branch Dividian kids...neglected to the point of starvation.  And what they have found is that not only do children who are raised in chaos learn to create chaos once they have been removed from that situation because it's all they know, but it can also literally effect how certain parts of their brains develop. 

They basically have figured out that the old ideal that kids are resilient and bounce back from trauma quickly is not only wrong but that it's actually the opposite, trauma can effect basic brain functioning and understanding. 

Obviously these are super severe cases but there are some less severe cases and they talk about how the same concepts apply to kids who have experienced less severe traumas. It's an awesome read.

My mom is a licensed counselor and while she was working on her Masters we were discussing this. I don't think she's read this so I may need to get it for her. She works in a school system and some of the things these kids tell her is just shocking.

• Options
    I had to order a copy of it from Borders because they can't keep it on the shelves.  
  • Options
    I also got Born for Love by the same doctor because it looks interesting.  Have you read that yet?
  • Options

No I haven't but I will pick it up! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"