Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Moms of 6 mo. olds re: daycare/sitter

Hi there, 

My DS will be going to a sitter starting at 6 months-- please share what you send with your LO to daycare or the sitter each day.

My challenge is that the sitter will be watching DS at my husband's business so there's nothing baby related there currently. I've started to think of things to leave there and things that must be packed for him everyday. We'll be starting solids right before his 6 mo. birthday so any suggestions regarding what/how much you pack for their caretaker to feed them would be helpful. 

This is going to be a stressful transition since its not currently baby-friendly so any suggestions are welcome! Thanks ladies! 

Re: Moms of 6 mo. olds re: daycare/sitter

• Options

So this isn't a typical daycare center at his work?  I've never heard of this happening so I'm kinda confused by it.

Diapers, wipes (both can be left there if there's storage for it), bottles with bm/formula already made up (if there's a refrigerator?), we didn't send food, but I'd just send a box of cereal with him if he'll be eating it during the day and a bowl/spoon for the sitter to mix it in. Once he starts veggies/fruits, just send a jar with him each day, or equivalent if you're making his food.  PNP (if no crib is available)- could be left there. with sheets.  A large blanket so they can put him on the floor to play, some toys, extra clothes, burp cloths, bibs, diaper cream, any medicine you may approve of the sitter giving him (may want to just have dh keep it in his desk and then have him administer it, imo). Maybe a small cd player and some childrens music?

Hope that helps!  Good luck. 

Lovin' Life: M+D 7/06, T 1/08, B 5/10
    Getting back to it- my diet and exercise blog
    Losing it...Without Losing it
  • Options
    imageMere7706:

So this isn't a typical daycare center at his work?  I've never heard of this happening so I'm kinda confused by it.

This. Are they making a special exception for him, or is this something that is just starting out and things haven't been donated to them yet? Like a swing, bouncy seat, etc.?

We take DS to a sitter, and provide two changes of clothes, diapers, wipes, formula, RO water, burp cloths, bottles, rice cereal/baby food, bowl, spoon... I think that's about it. She has baby items like a high chair, bouncy seat, etc, and because he is the only infant being watched, he gets to utilize those items all to himself :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry...I'll explain. My husband owns his own business and DS's caretaker will be watching him there. The reason we are doing this is because DH has an employee who is handicapped and has a full-time nurse. She no longer has to help him with typing and work related tasks because he has a computer program that does much of that for him. She basically surfs the internet and reads a book all day. We approached her with the idea of caring for DS and she was thrilled but she has to stay there as opposed to coming to our home. Hope that clarifies my question a bit. Thanks!
  • Options
    Also, yes- there's a fridge and plenty of storage. I've purchased those rubber playmats that piece together for playtime on the floor, we'll bring our PnP there, we'll probably need a gate. I guess my question is more for the everyday stuff.
  • Options

Ditto what everyone said.

What about a crib? Is there going to be a crib set up for napping?

This seems kind of like an odd situation. Are you paying her? Is she still going to be a nurse for this guy? or is she just taking over taking care of your LO? Who pays for her to be a nurse to this guy?

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • Options

I would have a pack 'n play for naps and a bouncy seat for feeding/play time. Also, an exersaucer if you can swing it. If there is storage, you could leave those items there. Other things that could be left for the week could include: diapers, wipes, toys, books, blankets, bibs, burp cloths and clothing. Take food/bottles daily.

You could probably pick up a lot of baby gear cheap off of craigs list, that way you don't have to lug things back and forth.

• Options

lol- yes, its a little out of the ordinary but we feel he'll have really good care there, We are paying her of course and she will continue to get paid to be a nurse but he does not really need her much. This is a little hard to explain w/o major detail. Plus dh will be there too.

Thanks for your responses...just making sure I've thought of everything. 

1ht 

• Options
    imageLexiePlusDavid:

lol- yes, its a little out of the ordinary but we feel he'll have really good care there, We are paying her of course and she will continue to get paid to be a nurse but he does not really need her much. This is a little hard to explain w/o major detail. Plus dh will be there too.

1ht 

Sorry but that seems a little unethical and possibly illegal. Who is paying her to be a nurse? Is this some kind of federal run program so that tax dollars are paying for her to be there but you are going to be using her as daycare? I hope that whoever is paying her knows that she will be doing double duty.

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • Options
    imageMrs.Handy:
    imageLexiePlusDavid:

1ht 

Sorry but that seems a little unethical and possibly illegal. Who is paying her to be a nurse? Is this some kind of federal run program so that tax dollars are paying for her to be there but you are going to be using her as daycare? I hope that whoever is paying her knows that she will be doing double duty.

DH's employee pays for her to be there out of his own pocket and he is absolutely okay with DS being there and utilizing her services as well. Nothing illegal going on, I assure you.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"