Potty Training
Options

Potty training & pregnant?

Ugh, this is the third time I posted this, didn't know there was a PTing board!

Wondering if you ladies have any advice, experience, etc on this?  I have a 27 month old that is pretty ready.  If I leave him bare bottomed at home, he does pretty good. (Except that I go crazy telling him not to touch himself!) I was thinking about doing the 3 days or less method like I saw on babycenter.com, but then they tell you to wear no diaper or underwear under clothes for 3 months.  I have less than 3 months less till the baby, and then I'm wondering if he'll regress when the baby is born? I love the idea that he would be done with diapers when the new one comes! (Even though we use cloth, it's not a budget concern.)  It seems like good timing, especially since I'll be home for 8 weeks come Dec. 31st.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Potty training & pregnant?

• Options

I just finished PTing my DD and I really truly believe I won't have problems with her regressing after the baby comes. Even if she does though, I can't be convinced that it will be as time consuming getting her back on track as it was to train her. For that reason, I'd recommend PTing him now.

I've never heard of the no underwear for 3 months thing and I'm trying to think of why they'd say that. My DD wears panties with no issues.

• Options
    True. Thanks.  The 2 times I have tried underwear, DS peed & pooped in them right away despite our discussion about how these are big boy underpants, etc.  I wonder if it's different for boys. I saw a post on here saying one mama had to do boxers or her boy thought it was a diaper.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just curious- why go crazy telling him not to touch himself? Little kids like to explore thier body- telling him not to is going to make him even more curious or even make him think its wrong. Personally Id rather they touch themselves and figure out things than grow up not knowing about thier own bodies. :/
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We went to 100% undies and found that to be more "real life" than letting her run around w/o undies on. Plus, if they wet themselves, they not only feel the urine running down thier leg (a training tool in itself) but they also feel the undies afterwords feeling uncomfortable and wet. Additionally, it gives you hte ability to remind them to "keep your undies clean and dry". And once he's PTd it will be normal for him to be wearing bottoms. Does that make sense?

Having siad all that, after being PTd she did run around quite often undie-less. I think she liked the freedom of being able to go potty on her own w/o mom having to take down her pants and panties. Now she can pull her own clothes down but getting them back up is still being learned.

I did it when my kids were 26mos and 2mos old but I can see why you wouldn't want to wait until your baby is born (plus some time to heal and what not, as your toddler would then be what 5mos older?). I think doing it now is as good an option as you have. DD regressed anyway for like 3 wks for no known reason anyway and her brother was here when we trained her so who knows. 

• Options
    Well, I posted this in a different reply, but our update is that we did the "3 day method" for like 6 days last week, and he has been in undies for a couple days now, including short trips. :-D  It's much better now that he can wear pants.  When he would only be successful naked, I was concerned about germs because he was CONSTANTLY touching himself and everything else to it.  Meaning, I felt like I had to disinfect every thing in the house or something. (But I didn't.)  Much better now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"